Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2006/01/11 19:53:21 UTC

Javadoc problem

I'm having an odd problem with a Javadoc task in Ant 1.6.5. I'm using
Eclipse but I have a second copy of Ant 1.6.5 outside of Eclipse and the
exact same thing happens regardless of whether I run the build within
Eclipse or outside of it.

The Javadoc is writing the docs for 5 packages. I've created a
package-info.java file for each of those packages with a few lines of
documentation. Each package-info.java file was created in the same way and
has similar brief contents with similar Javadoc tags. However, when I look
at the generated Javadocs, I'm only getting the package comments for one of
the five packages; the rest don't appear to have been 'seen' by the Javadoc
task.

I don't know how to debug this. If none of the package-info documentation
was appearing, I'd assume I'd created those files incorrectly or had
specified parameters to the javadoc task incorrectly. But one of the five
worked just fine while the other four didn't get picked up, even though all
were created in exactly the same way.

Can anyone suggest a strategy to figure out why _some_ of the package-info
documentation isn't appearing?

Let me explain a little more clearly what is and isn't appearing in my
Javadocs. My five package names are:
- com.foo.common
- com.foo.common.utilities
- com.foo.resume
- com.foo.resume.misc
- com.foo.resume.Resources

First, in the Javadoc overview, each of my five packages are showing up in
the Other Packages table. Only one of them, com.foo.resume.Resources, has a
comment in the second column; that comment is the one from the first line of
the package-info.java file for that package. The other four packages have no
comments at all in the Other Packages table.

On the "package" pages for each package, the Enum Summary, Class Summary,
and Interface Summary tables contains the names of the appropriate enums,
classes, and interfaces and each of them has a comment, taken from the
Javadoc comments for the individual enum, class or interface. However, only
com.foo.resume.Resources has the package-info.java comments for its classes.

The contents of each package-info.java file look like this:
/**
 * This package contains blah blah blah.
 *
 * @author Rhino
 * @version 1.0
 */
package com.foo.resume;

(Naturally, the package name in the package statement varies in each case.
Each package-info.java file is situated in the source tree of its package
and contains its proper package name.)

This is my javadoc task:
 <javadoc destdir="${resume.javadoc.dir}"
  author="true"
  version="true"
  use="true"
  splitindex="true"
  access="private"
  executable="${javadoc.path}"
  source="1.5"
  windowtitle="R\u00e9sum\u00e9 API"
  breakiterator="true"
      overview="${resume.html.dir}\javadoc_overview.html" doctitle="Resume
Overview"
  classpath="${iText.jar}:${common.bin}"
  description="Generate Javadocs for the project">

  <fileset dir="${resume.src}" defaultexcludes="yes">
   <patternset refid="ps.resume"/>
   </fileset>
  <fileset dir="${resume.misc.src}" defaultexcludes="yes">
   <patternset refid="ps.resume.misc"/>
   </fileset>
  <fileset dir="${common.src}" defaultexcludes="yes">
   <patternset refid="ps.common"/>
   </fileset>

  <doctitle><![CDATA[<h1>R&eacute;sum&eacute;</h1>]]></doctitle>
  <bottom><![CDATA[<i>Copyright &#169; 2006 Rhino. All Rights
Reserved.</i>]]></bottom>
  <group title="R\u00e9sum\u00e9 Packages" packages="resume*"/>
  <group title="Common Packages" packages="common*"/>
  <link href="http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api"/>
  </javadoc>

Can anyone help me figure out what is going wrong here?

---
Rhino