Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2008/07/22 15:56:01 UTC

Website

Is the ZooKeeper website getting moved over to Apache?  I think a good
website is critical for building a community around the project.

Do you guys want to generate it from wiki content?  For example, the
http://activemq.apache.org/ site is generated from the wiki content at
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/Index

If so I think I can create the confluence space for you guys so that
we can get started with that.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: Website

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Regardless of which wiki we use the documentation is in Forrest and
checked into SVN. Forrest is used both to write the docs (which are
versioned along with the code) as well as generating the
hadoop.apache.org web site. (trunk/src/docs) We have a tech writer who
is currently migrating the sourceforge documentation to forrest.

The wiki will be used to capture information which is specifically not
documentation; faq, policies, procedures, etc...

Patrick

Re: Website

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Personally, I think forest is the right thing to do regarding product
documentation (manuals, api docs, user docs).  It very version
specific and needs to stay with the source code.

That said, project information is NOT product or version specific.
The general website could get generated from the WIKI.  And I think
it's a better medium to use since editing a wiki page is easier to do
than updating svn and then generating a site.

I too would be willing to help. And I think we can take it in stages.
We could easily migrate what you have today in MoinMoin to confluence.
 Then we could provide the value add of skining those wiki pages so
that have the same look and feel that the main site uses that way the
main site and wiki look more integrated.

Once that is setup, I'm sure you guys will be more comfortable with
the process and more information from the main site could get migrated
over to the wiki.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: Website

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
James Strachan wrote:
> Incidentally a totally different thought; whats gonna be the split
> between whats the static website (e.g. Forrest) versus stuff thats in
> the wiki versus documentation that goes inside each release? Its often
> a kinda slippery slope figuring out which bit does what

Official documentation for end-users is in subversion (Forrest).  This
is vetted by the release process.

Un-official, typically user-generated documentation whose accuracy,
copyright, etc. is not guaranteed by the project goes in the wiki.

The wiki is also used for some developer documentation that is not
intended for end users, e.g., HowToRelease, HowToContribute, etc.  These
could migrate into the project's official website
(repos/asf/hadoop/zookeeper/site) if we like.

> and its a PITA
> moving content into different formats to move between them; so while
> no tool is perfect, I kinda like that with confluence there's just one
> place to put docs and you can then slice and dice as you see fit

Sure, it would be convenient if these were all in a common format, but,
as mentioned before, Confluence would make it harder to manage branched
documentation.

Doug

Re: Website

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: Website

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Best bet is to put it to the vote - create a Jira. I'll make sure we get
input from Hadoop PMC and core team members.

Patrick

Re: Website

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Lol.. Apache infrastructure supports multiple wiki backends.  It's up
to the project to pick which one you want to you.  You currently have
picked MoinMoin, but you could have easily picked Confluence, just
like these other Apache projects did:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dashboard.action

Regards,
Hiram

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> The Hadoop project, including ZooKeeper, is currently using the Apache wiki.
> There are no plans at this time to use confluence:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper
>
> Patrick
>

> Hiram Chirino wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I cloned core/hbase subprojects, so we do what's currently done by other
>>> hadoop subs. The issue has come up in the past, might be a good idea at
>>> some
>>> point but might also add even more complexity to already pretty complex
>>> process (see howtorelease page). I think we should get things setup
>>> similar
>>> to existing subs (still alot of work to be done converting the wiki over
>>> apache wiki/docs) and review at some point in the future.
>>>
>>> Howtocontrib/howtorelease/faq is already on the wiki:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper
>>>
>>> mailinglists/news/etc... are part of the docs (not wiki), probably more
>>> convention than anything. mailinglist never changes and I believe news
>>> (and
>>> prolly some others) is part of docs in order to be versioned, but also to
>>> enable users who have checked out the code to have direct access .
>>>

>> That's cool too.. If you are going to use a Wiki it might be better to
>> use the confluence one just cause it can easily be skinned to have the
>> main site's look and feel.  Plus it has a bunch of cool macros
>> available to import code examples from svn or bring in a table of
>> issues from JIRA (for example
>> http://openejb.apache.org/ejb-3-roadmap.html ) etc.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hiram
>>
>>> Patrick

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: Website

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: Website

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> I cloned core/hbase subprojects, so we do what's currently done by other
> hadoop subs. The issue has come up in the past, might be a good idea at some
> point but might also add even more complexity to already pretty complex
> process (see howtorelease page). I think we should get things setup similar
> to existing subs (still alot of work to be done converting the wiki over to
> apache wiki/docs) and review at some point in the future.
>
> Howtocontrib/howtorelease/faq is already on the wiki:
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper
>
> mailinglists/news/etc... are part of the docs (not wiki), probably more
> convention than anything. mailinglist never changes and I believe news (and
> prolly some others) is part of docs in order to be versioned, but also to
> enable users who have checked out the code to have direct access .

That's cool too.. If you are going to use a Wiki it might be better to
use the confluence one just cause it can easily be skinned to have the
main site's look and feel.  Plus it has a bunch of cool macros
available to import code examples from svn or bring in a table of
issues from JIRA (for example
http://openejb.apache.org/ejb-3-roadmap.html ) etc.

Regards,
Hiram

> Patrick
>
> Hiram Chirino wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Hiram, see ZOOKEEPER-70 & 72. We'll be following Hadoop core/hbase wrt
>>> the docs/site/wiki. Specifically using Apache Forrest for the
>>> documentation,
>>> which also generates the site. We're in the process of moving the
>>> sourceforge wiki content over from SF to apache.
>>>
>>> I'm been working with a couple of the hadoop core team members getting
>>> their
>>> input re the site, I had actually planned to push something live today.
>>>
>>> Additional complexity is due to the fact that on SF we had all docs on
>>> the
>>> wiki and were not including the api docs in the release. Apache requires
>>> us
>>> to version our documentation proper along with the code (so has to be in
>>> SVN
>>> and not on the wiki) and we also have to include the api docs (as well as
>>> regular docs) along with each release which we are not doing on SF.
>>
>> Yep.  BTW you can still take a hybrid approach where the general site
>> information (stuff like how to contirbute, mailing lists, news, etc.
>> etc.) is wiki driven which then links to release documentation
>> directories which are generated from svn sources during a release.
>> But either way is good.  Good to know the site is coming soon!
>>
>>> Patrick

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: Website

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
I cloned core/hbase subprojects, so we do what's currently done by other
hadoop subs. The issue has come up in the past, might be a good idea at
some point but might also add even more complexity to already pretty
complex process (see howtorelease page). I think we should get things
setup similar to existing subs (still alot of work to be done converting
the wiki over to apache wiki/docs) and review at some point in the future.

Re: Website

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Hiram, see ZOOKEEPER-70 & 72. We'll be following Hadoop core/hbase wrt
> the docs/site/wiki. Specifically using Apache Forrest for the documentation,
> which also generates the site. We're in the process of moving the
> sourceforge wiki content over from SF to apache.
>
> I'm been working with a couple of the hadoop core team members getting their
> input re the site, I had actually planned to push something live today.
>
> Additional complexity is due to the fact that on SF we had all docs on the
> wiki and were not including the api docs in the release. Apache requires us
> to version our documentation proper along with the code (so has to be in SVN
> and not on the wiki) and we also have to include the api docs (as well as
> regular docs) along with each release which we are not doing on SF.

Yep.  BTW you can still take a hybrid approach where the general site
information (stuff like how to contirbute, mailing lists, news, etc.
etc.) is wiki driven which then links to release documentation
directories which are generated from svn sources during a release.
But either way is good.  Good to know the site is coming soon!

> Patrick
>
> Hiram Chirino wrote:
>>
>> Is the ZooKeeper website getting moved over to Apache?  I think a good
>> website is critical for building a community around the project.
>>
>> Do you guys want to generate it from wiki content?  For example, the
>> http://activemq.apache.org/ site is generated from the wiki content at
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/Index
>>
>> If so I think I can create the confluence space for you guys so that
>> we can get started with that.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA