Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Yehia Elshater <y....@gmail.com> on 2014/07/08 02:16:12 UTC

Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Hi All,

How can copy a certain hdfs block (given the file name, start and end
bytes) from one node to another node ?

Thanks
Yehia

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by Yehia Elshater <y....@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot. I will take a look on the balancer and decommissioning code.

Posted by Yehia Elshater <y....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yehia Elshater <y....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yehia Elshater <y....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Haven't looked at the source but the thing you are trying to do sounds
> similar to what happens when you are decommissioning a datanode. I would
> hunt for that code.
> Cheers
> Chris
> On Jul 9, 2014 3:41 PM, "Yehia Elshater" <y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Actually I need this functionality for my research, basically for fault
>> tolerance. I can calculate some failure probability for some data nodes
>> after certain unit of time. So I need to copy all the blocks reside on
>> these nodes to another nodes.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Yehia
>>

>> On 7 July 2014 20:45, Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you outline why one would want to do that? The blocks are disposable
>>> so it is strange to manipulate them directly.

...sudhakara

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Haven't looked at the source but the thing you are trying to do sounds
> similar to what happens when you are decommissioning a datanode. I would
> hunt for that code.
> Cheers
> Chris
> On Jul 9, 2014 3:41 PM, "Yehia Elshater" <y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Actually I need this functionality for my research, basically for fault
>> tolerance. I can calculate some failure probability for some data nodes
>> after certain unit of time. So I need to copy all the blocks reside on
>> these nodes to another nodes.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Yehia
>>

>> On 7 July 2014 20:45, Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you outline why one would want to do that? The blocks are disposable
>>> so it is strange to manipulate them directly.

...sudhakara

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Haven't looked at the source but the thing you are trying to do sounds
> similar to what happens when you are decommissioning a datanode. I would
> hunt for that code.
> Cheers
> Chris
> On Jul 9, 2014 3:41 PM, "Yehia Elshater" <y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Actually I need this functionality for my research, basically for fault
>> tolerance. I can calculate some failure probability for some data nodes
>> after certain unit of time. So I need to copy all the blocks reside on
>> these nodes to another nodes.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Yehia
>>

>> On 7 July 2014 20:45, Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you outline why one would want to do that? The blocks are disposable
>>> so it is strange to manipulate them directly.

...sudhakara

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Haven't looked at the source but the thing you are trying to do sounds
> similar to what happens when you are decommissioning a datanode. I would
> hunt for that code.
> Cheers
> Chris
> On Jul 9, 2014 3:41 PM, "Yehia Elshater" <y....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Actually I need this functionality for my research, basically for fault
>> tolerance. I can calculate some failure probability for some data nodes
>> after certain unit of time. So I need to copy all the blocks reside on
>> these nodes to another nodes.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Yehia
>>

>> On 7 July 2014 20:45, Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you outline why one would want to do that? The blocks are disposable
>>> so it is strange to manipulate them directly.

...sudhakara

Re: Copy hdfs block from one data node to another

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.