Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/19 17:37:45 UTC

Uploading config sets in SolrCloud (uploading arbitrary XML reprise)

I'm thinking about a UI for the collections API. One of the things
that vexes new users is uploading config sets through zkcli or
similar.

So naturally, the question arises whether it'd be possible to have an
"upload configset" option in the UI, where the user just clicks on a
Solr config and we push the configset up to Zookeeper.

Then the experience from a while ago with arbitrarily modifying
solrconfig.xml and schema.xml rears its ugly head. Would this process
have the same objection as modifying schema.xml and solrconfig.xml
throughthe UI? After all, it _is_ pushing a set of arbitrary xml to
Solr nodes, albeit through the config set.

Don't want to waste effort again.

Erick