Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz> on 2015/08/04 04:43:53 UTC

Re: Haddock editor icons missing?

Hi Dirk/All,

On 30/06/15 07:45, Dirk Frederickx wrote:
> Dave,
>
> You are not missing icons;  the HADDOCK editor toolbar has been simplified
> as much as possible.

I'm really not understanding this at all, quite possibly because I'm
missing something quite fundamental.

If a first-time JSPWiki user with Haddock enabled wants to perform basic
formatting tasks, for example:

  * bolding/italicizing text
  * inserting a ToC
  * inserting a link
  * inserting headings

And so forth, exactly how or where is this performed in Haddock without
the associated toolbar icons, and without otherwise a knowledge of
JSPWiki's markup?

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
On 05/08/15 21:44, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:

> I think it's too stripped back, yes. The option to enable
> auto-suggestions, and full access to the markup are the expert-friendly
> options which I really like JSPWiki for, but this change I would say
> goes too far in the direction of being beginner-unfriendly.

I've now filed JSPWIKI-908 on this one.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz
GPG Key ID: 0x238BFF87

Re: Haddock editor icons missing?

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@apertura.co.nz>.
Hi Dirk,

On 05/08/15 07:05, Dirk Frederickx wrote:
> Probably I went overboard in simplifying the plain editor ui,  by replacing
> most toolbar icons by Auto-suggest menu's.
> But obviously that requires you first turn on the "auto-suggest" option,
> which are off by default after clearing the cookies.
>
> Possibly it would be better to bring back the most common editor commands
> in the toolbar,  or introduce a hide/reveal toolbar, similar to gmail.

I think it's too stripped back, yes. The option to enable
auto-suggestions, and full access to the markup are the expert-friendly
options which I really like JSPWiki for, but this change I would say
goes too far in the direction of being beginner-unfriendly. The
advantage gained by screen space freed up from removing the expected
basic formatting icons is disproportionately offset by how
counter-intuitive the new layout is. New starters wouldn't have a clue
how to format their content at first or second glance.

PlainVanilla had a pretty good selection of basic formatting icons –
maybe adopt these or a subset (appreciating of course that you don't
want to simply recreate PlainVanilla). The editor icons in Confluence
and WordPress.com could also be good points of reference:

  * https://www.dropbox.com/s/5peew58mlk94wqq/conf.png?dl=0
  * https://www.dropbox.com/s/07zos5uc6gw4ph2/wp.png?dl=0

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Dave, all

Probably I went overboard in simplifying the plain editor ui,  by replacing
most toolbar icons by Auto-suggest menu's.
But obviously that requires you first turn on the "auto-suggest" option,
which are off by default after clearing the cookies.

Possibly it would be better to bring back the most common editor commands
in the toolbar,  or introduce a hide/reveal toolbar, similar to gmail.

Please try activating the AUTO-SUGGEST option, and then :

- try selecting a word or sentence,  and you should see a pop-up menu,
including bold, italic,  etc.

- try entering [ and you get an ajax dropdown to help entering links as you
type the a pagename

- try entering [{,  and you should get a suggestion menu for plugins, TOC,
ACLs, variables etc.
        - btw, entering ACL's has now ajax support too, to retrieve the
names of available groups etc.

- try entering %% to see style options

- try entering & to add special characters or html entities

- try entering # to get a color-wheel

- etc..

dirk