Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@de.ibm.com> on 2003/12/20 17:38:29 UTC

directory project in the incubator

Hello!

We (three authors) write a little book about LDAP to appear in March 2004.
It is in German, the title is "LDAP fuer Java-Entwickler" ("LDAP for Java
developers"). In the introduction we recommend the readers to install a
test server for their own experiments. We do not favour a concrete
product, but try to give a little orientation.

Our recommendations include a link to the LDAPd project (it seemed
interesting to us because of the pure java implementation and its
potential). I noticed that the project entered  Apache's incubator and is
called "Directory" there.

I think with this direction the project will be even more interesting to
our readers. I would like to update the information, but unfortunatly
there is not a lot to find on the incubators web site yet. I am interested
in the project in general, but for our book some things would be
especially interesting:

Is there already a final decision about the name of the project and the
server?
Will it be a Jakarta, or a Apache toplevel project -- or something else?
Is there a durable link we could use in our (printed) book?

Most of these things are probably not decided yet. I subscribed to your
mailing list to keep in touch.

Thank you in advance + Greetings from Hamburg/Germany -- Stefan

Stefan Zoerner, Dipl.-Math.

IT Architect, AMS Solution Implementation
IBM e-business Innovation Center
Beim Strohhause 17
20097 Hamburg, Germany

mail      szoerner@de.ibm.com