Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by "Matthew T. Adams" <ma...@xcalia.com> on 2005/03/02 00:14:03 UTC

A couple of minor issues while assigning assertions to 12.6.8 detach/attach

Hi Craig,

The spec says:  While closing the PersistenceManager, no access is
allowed to the underlying data store.
Questions:  Do we want to test this?  What should the implementation do
if the user does access the data store?  Throw?  How would the
implementation know?

The spec says:  If [the JDO implementation] cannot determine if changes
were made, then it must mark the instance dirty.
Questions/comments:  Nowhere does the spec say that newly attached
persistent instances must be marked dirty if they are changed, only that
it is not required to mark the instance as dirty if there are no changes
detected, or that it must mark the instance dirty if it can't determine
whether the instance has been changed.  I need to test the assertion "If
the JDO implementation determines that changes were made, then it must
mark the instance dirty."
Recommendation:  Change the following sentence,
If it cannot determine if changes were made, then it must mark the
instance dirty.
If it determines that changes were made, or if it cannot determine if
changes were made, then it must mark the instance dirty.

--matthew

Matthew T. Adams
Corporate Technical Advisor & Senior Consultant
Mobile:  +1 253 732 1051
Phone:  +1 206 331 3833
Fax:  +1 360 937 9616
matthew.adams@xcalia.com
P.O. Box 24163
Federal Way, WA  98093
www.xcalia.com <http://www.xcalia.com/>

Xcalia helps businesses address the challenge of Enterprise Information
Access in a heterogeneous environment.  We provide products and services
that facilitate the two-way exchange of information between individuals,
mission-critical applications, and databases.  Our customers enjoy
improved performance, reduced operating and development costs, faster
time to market, and rejuvenated legacy systems.