Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2007/06/27 17:58:31 UTC

Re: [axis2] header processing by !handlers (was: Re: svn commit: r549924 - in /webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules: kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/description/ kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/engine/ metadata/src/org/apache/axis2/jaxws/description/impl/ me

Glen Daniels wrote:

> Sanjiva, you know me, I'm Mr. Architectural Purity, but unfortunately
> there are cases where Handlers aren't the best, or the most natural, way
> to deal with headers.  If soap:header had never been added to WSDL,
> maybe, but since it's there and the common idiom seems to be adding the
> header as an extra parameter to the codegen'ed methods... we need to
> allow the engine to recognize that those headers are OK to pass through.
>  Now, we certainly could come up with a handler-based solution (gen a
> Stub/Skel, and that autodeploys a Handler who just marks the header as
> processed), but I think it's easier to just allow registration in a way
> similar to what Jeff did.
>
> So I think we should carefully review, but keep the idea.

I'm not against a longer term fully general solution but I am opposed to
putting it into 1.3. This is a significant new feature added without
recent discussion and I request that it be removed at least for now. The
original issue can be handled with handlers as Jeff has already replied.

(Trying hard to avoid using negative numbers in emails as those appear
unpopular ;-).)

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [axis2] header processing by !handlers

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good Jeff.

Posted by Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Sanjiva!

>> So I think we should carefully review, but keep the idea.
>
> I'm not against a longer term fully general solution but I am opposed to
> putting it into 1.3. This is a significant new feature added without
> recent discussion and I request that it be removed at least for now. The
> original issue can be handled with handlers as Jeff has already replied.

So we're not going to support <soap:header> in 1.3 either then - or at
least not completely, in that if someone actually sends us one of the
headers they specified in the WSDL with MU switched on, we'll barf?

> (Trying hard to avoid using negative numbers in emails as those appear
> unpopular ;-).)

:)

If you're vetoing a commit (which it sounds like you are?), fire away
with the -1s!  However... I'm not entirely sure that "adding a feature
without discussion" is sufficient technical justification for a -1,
though.  If we were doing review-then-commit, sure, but we're doing
commit-then-review.  What do you think?

Not sure exactly what the right thing here is, but I think I'd prefer to
leave it in in some form rather than having JAXWS rely on a
Handler-based mechanism....

Thanks,
--Glen