Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Grzegorz Tańczyk <go...@polzone.pl> on 2004/12/20 19:18:43 UTC

Out of memory problem

Hello,

  Cocoon 2.1.6 is running on Fedora Core 1, 512mb ram with celeron 2.4ghz.
  I'm not sure what is the reason of this problem. When I try to
  simulate high traffic with ApacheBenchmark tool then java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
  does not happen. But after few hours(5-10) of running on real
  traffic(1-2 requests per second) Cocoon/Tomcat hangs up and start to
  fill catalina.out with error message presented below. I'm planning
  to get on better server from 1st of January, but before that I would
  like to fix this problem. Tell what additional information do I have
  to provide for You, to help to recognize this problem.

  I really need Your help. We expect higher traffic on our site in next week, so
  the situation is critical.

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.release(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cocoon.environment.AbstractEnvironment.release(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.MutableEnvironmentFacade.release(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cocoon.generation.FileGenerator.recycle(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.ResourceLimitingPool.put(ResourceLimitingPool.java:438)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.PoolableComponentHandler.doPut(PoolableComponentHandler.java:212)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler.put(ComponentHandler.java:425)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.release(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:305)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.release(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.recycle(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.ResourceLimitingPool.put(ResourceLimitingPool.java:438)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.PoolableComponentHandler.doPut(PoolableComponentHandler.java:212)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler.put(ComponentHandler.java:425)
        at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.release(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:305)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.release(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.EnvironmentDescription.release(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.endProcessing(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2422)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:171)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:163)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:199)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:828)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:700)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:584)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

--
Best regards,
 Grzegorz                          mailto:goliatus@polzone.pl

Re[4]: Out of memory problem

Posted by Grzegorz Tañczyk <go...@polzone.pl>.
Hello Antonio,

  Thanks for the answer. We bought new hardware few days ago, and now
  I'm testing it. I can't understand one thing. I've set Xmx570m in
  java opts, freememory=500000000, heapsize= 560000000 in
  cocoon.xconf. In samples/status.html I see:
  * total: 563.69MB
  that is correct, but when I check with top command I see that java
  process takes 652mb(VIRT column). How to explain it?

  I use slackware10, cocoon-2.1.6, java1.5.0 and tomcat5.5.4 now on P4, 1gb memory

Re: Re[2]: Out of memory problem

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Mar, 21 de Diciembre de 2004, 2:22, Grzegorz Tañczyk dijo:
> Hello Antonio,
>
> Tomcat 4.1 and java 1.4.2

I expected more exactly versions. :-D

Well, I hope you are using 1.4.2_06 and tomcat 4.1.31.

Are you tried to add more memory to tomcat?

A way to do that is to edit $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/catalina.sh and add there,
for example:

Re[2]: Out of memory problem

Posted by Grzegorz Tañczyk <go...@polzone.pl>.
Hello Antonio,