Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Cleary <da...@progress.com> on 2019/10/10 18:08:37 UTC

Setting samesite attribute on JSESSIONID

Have a customer asking about this. I see Tomcat supports it here. https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/cookie-processor.html

We currently use defaults, so I'm looking for an XML fragment and the file it goes in to add the samesite attribute to the JSESSIONID. I'm assuming they want it globally for all webapps.

Thanks
Dave

RE: Setting samesite attribute on JSESSIONID

Posted by David Cleary <da...@progress.com>.
On 10/10/19 14:08, David Cleary wrote:
> Have a customer asking about this. I see Tomcat supports it here.
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/cookie-processor.html
> .apache.org

We currently use defaults, so I'm looking for an XML fragment and
> the file it goes in to add the samesite attribute to the JSESSIONID.
> I'm assuming they want it globally for all webapps.

>What have you tried already?

To paraphrase Maxwell Smart, "Missed it by that much". Our shipping version is at 9.0.20, so the warnings about unknown attribute are expected.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Setting samesite attribute on JSESSIONID

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:08 PM David Cleary <da...@progress.com> wrote:

> Have a customer asking about this. I see Tomcat supports it here.
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/cookie-processor.html
>
> We currently use defaults, so I'm looking for an XML fragment and the file
> it goes in to add the samesite attribute to the JSESSIONID. I'm assuming
> they want it globally for all webapps.

After Christopher Schultz pointed me in the right direction, I added the
following line to $CATALINA_BASE/conf/context.xml

<CookieProcessor sameSiteCookies="none"></CookieProcessor>

This allowed my JAMstack app to set a JSESSIONID from a REST app running
under Tomcat on a different server.

Marlowe, *Doctor Faustus* (v. 111-13)