Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Andrew Chen <ac...@cobaltgroup.com> on 2000/09/14 00:47:31 UTC

Apache::PerlRun::Flush

Hello all,

There was some discussion about the Apache::PerlRun::Flush handler before,
but here's a quick refresher: the handler was written in order to be able
to run dirty code on PerlRun with PerlRunOnce Off by going through and
cleaning up the memory space between each request. It's been working okay,
and we're putting it through QA right now.

Some people have e-mailed and asked about open sourcing of the handler,
and all I can say is: It will be done, I'm just not sure when. This will
be the first piece of software open sourced here at Cobalt, and it just
needs to go through the right channels. By the way, is having "Apache" in
the name of the package a problem?

To the technical issue: One of the only problems about the handler right
now is that there seems to be a strange memory leak. If I have Apache
running and serving requests, if I watch the httpds on top I see them use
more and more memory until it starts taxing the server.

Everything seems to be working fine (variables seem to be getting flushed,
etc.) but this is still happening. Does anyone have any ideas or any way
to track down what variables are using up the memory? When I have
Apache::Status loaded up, the Apache::ROOT* temporary PerlRun packages
that get created seem to be occupying a nonzero amount of space. Is this a
PerlRun bug?

Please let me know if you have any idas-- I'm not on the list so please
cc: me.

Andrew Chen
Intern, Architecture
achen@cobaltgroup.com
206-219-8445
The Cobalt Group, Inc.

Re: Apache::PerlRun::Flush

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Andrew Chen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> There was some discussion about the Apache::PerlRun::Flush handler before,
> but here's a quick refresher: the handler was written in order to be able
> to run dirty code on PerlRun with PerlRunOnce Off by going through and
> cleaning up the memory space between each request. It's been working okay,
> and we're putting it through QA right now.
>
> Some people have e-mailed and asked about open sourcing of the handler,
> and all I can say is: It will be done, I'm just not sure when. This will
> be the first piece of software open sourced here at Cobalt, and it just
> needs to go through the right channels. By the way, is having "Apache" in
> the name of the package a problem?

Use the "Apache" name is a sensitive issue in general. But it's
abosolutely Ok to release your modules under Apache:: tree.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com   perl.org   apache.org