Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/07 16:22:58 UTC

plexus documentation

Hi guys,

Just some generic questions about maven development and Plaexus :

Plexus / Wagon and other technologies used by maven seems to re-invent the
wheel, compared to existing projects (spring or pico, commons-vfs...)

1. Do maven developers hate code created elsewhere ;-) ?  as documentation
is really poor (is there some ?) it is difficult to know WHY a new project
has been created and how it differs from existing ones.

2. I've found some interesting components in plexus (plexus-util) so I get
frustrated not getting a better documentation about what plexus can offer.
Is there some plan to get better doc ? How do you expect contributors to get
involved in those components ?

Nico.

Re: plexus documentation

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

That (Plexus component list) is on the todo list for docs, but I haven't
been able to get to it.

Do you want to take this discussion to the Plexus list? I know there are
a some gaps and would be interested in hearing what (else) you are
looking for on the Plexus site.

Cheers,
Rahul

Re: plexus documentation

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: plexus documentation

Posted by Franz Allan Valencia See <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day

> > 2. I've found some interesting components in plexus (plexus-util)
> > so I get
> > frustrated not getting a better documentation about what plexus can
> > offer.
> > Is there some plan to get better doc ?
>
> Ask on the Plexus list but Rahul has consistently been working on it.
>
> > How do you expect contributors to get
> > involved in those components ?
> >

> Haven't had much problem so far. The uptake is about as high as we
> can handled right now given the lack of documentation. The few people
> we get are the types who read the source code and figure it out.
>
> But Rahul is, in fact, doing a good job of getting the documentation
> going in the right direction.

Hmm...maybe it would be nice if there would be a wiki space for Plexus
Users ( or allow anyone to edit [1] ).

Cheers,
Franz

[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/PLEXUS/Home

Re: plexus documentation

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 7 Feb 07, at 10:22 AM 7 Feb 07, nicolas de loof wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Just some generic questions about maven development and Plaexus :
>
> Plexus / Wagon and other technologies used by maven seems to re-
> invent the
> wheel, compared to existing projects (spring or pico, commons-vfs...)

Plexus existed before Spring, came from Avalon like Pico and commons-
vfs didn't work at all when we started.

> 1. Do maven developers hate code created elsewhere ;-) ?  as
> documentation
> is really poor (is there some ?) it is difficult to know WHY a new
> project
> has been created and how it differs from existing ones.

We're slowly working on it, but in almost all cases there wasn't
anything that existed or it was in a similar state to what we started.

> 2. I've found some interesting components in plexus (plexus-util)
> so I get
> frustrated not getting a better documentation about what plexus can
> offer.
> Is there some plan to get better doc ?

Ask on the Plexus list but Rahul has consistently been working on it.

> How do you expect contributors to get
> involved in those components ?

Haven't had much problem so far. The uptake is about as high as we
can handled right now given the lack of documentation. The few people
we get are the types who read the source code and figure it out.

But Rahul is, in fact, doing a good job of getting the documentation
going in the right direction.

Jason.