Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Paul Hethmon <ph...@marketlinx.com> on 2000/12/21 20:43:53 UTC

Requesting Suggestions for a Tomcat book

Hi,

I'm in the process of starting work on a Tomcat book. The goal of the book
is to provide the information for using Tomcat in a book form. The plan
right now is to cover the installation, set-up, and use of both Tomcat 3.2
and 4.0. The idea for the book came from when I went to use Tomcat a while
back. I pored over the faq's and readme's and got it going, but thought it
would be nice to have that paper reference.

My general table of contents right now includes:

  * installation
  ** general
  ** linux specific
  ** win specific
  ** other?

  * set-up
  ** general
  *** configuration files
  **** server.xml
  **** etc.
  *** ssl mode
  ** linux specific
  ** win specific
  ** other?

  * use
  ** general
  *** security
  ** linux specific
  ** win specific
  ** other?

This is just a preliminary outline. I'd like to ask for any suggestions anyone might
have as topics to include. I've been following the mailing lists for several months
now pulling out topics which come up and seem like should be answered in a book. Of
course, the faq topics come to mind also.

Also, I realize to some that I may seem to be coming in here as an "outsider" doing
this book. I hope no one is offended by that, but sometimes coming in in that position
makes it easier to understand the topics that new users (and readers) will be
interested in (and confused by). My hope is to achieve something which answers their
questions. Btw, this project does have a publisher (manning.com) behind it. I think
it is a tribute to the Jakarta project that a publisher is willing to put out a
book on the subject.

My last request is for anyone interested in reviewing the manuscript to let me know. I
would like to put together a group of 3 to 6 people who have varying degrees of familiarity
with Tomcat.

Direct replies would be appreciated and perhaps more appropriate given the topic, but
feel free to use your own judgement on whether others would be interested.

thanks,

Paul Hethmon
phethmon@marketlinx.com
phethmon@hethmon.com

Re: Requesting Suggestions for a Tomcat book

Posted by Jeffrey Miller <jm...@gfs.com>.
I admire your initiative in planning to write this book.  I would suggest
that you include a chapter on configuring Apache and Tomcat to work in
harmony

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.
Sami Lempinen wrote:

> One comment: please do a s/Linux/UNIX/g with your table or contents,
> or perhaps the most accurately, use Linux/UNIX instead. As far as I know,
> there isn't anything Linux-specific in the Tomcat installation -- I've
> dropped the same package unmodified in Linux, Solaris and HP-UX.

why not simply *nix? tomcat runs on BSD flavours including macOSX and freeBSD.

as i understand it, the major difference in *nix flavours is actually in the
wrinkles of compiling the apache-tomcat bridge. you might want to check out the
archives for endless discussions on this subject.

as for others - you can run tomcat 3 on macOS9 *but* it almost certainly isn't
worth the effort. most people interested in this area on apple hardware have
switch to macOSX or ppc linux (i certainly have).

good luck
robert

Re: Requesting Suggestions for a Tomcat book

Posted by Sami Lempinen <le...@iki.fi>.
Greetings,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 02:43:53PM -0500, Paul Hethmon wrote:

> I'm in the process of starting work on a Tomcat book. The goal of the book
> is to provide the information for using Tomcat in a book form. The plan
> right now is to cover the installation, set-up, and use of both Tomcat 3.2
> and 4.0. The idea for the book came from when I went to use Tomcat a while
> back. I pored over the faq's and readme's and got it going, but thought it
> would be nice to have that paper reference.

One comment: please do a s/Linux/UNIX/g with your table or contents,
or perhaps the most accurately, use Linux/UNIX instead. As far as I know,
there isn't anything Linux-specific in the Tomcat installation -- I've
dropped the same package unmodified in Linux, Solaris and HP-UX.

-Sami

--
lempinen@iki.fi http://www.iki.fi/lempinen/
ICQ:19002710  *************  apt-get a life

RE: Requesting Suggestions for a Tomcat book

Posted by "G.Nagarajan" <gn...@dkf.de>.
Possibly some information on internationalization. ie, serving pages
in different languages. Also, a list of other servlet engines with
pros and cons. Setting up IIS, Apache with tomcat, in simple English with
pictures for each step (especially the registry changes!).

I would include a section on Tomcat server security.
This would cover security issues related to installing
and running Tomcat.  Also running Tomcat with the
Java SecurityManager.

Regards,

Glenn

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Posted by "Gerald W. Edgar" <gw...@halcyon.com>.
I suggest a section on set-up... and compare and contrast of tomcat standalone (using the web
server in tomcat) against Tomcat under Apache.
This could include what are the differences for system implementation between standalone and as
an apache module. Further, this includes security differences, use of SSL in tomcat and SSL for
Apache having Tomcat as a module.  Use of X.509 user certificates for authentication. Then
cover  integration with LDAP servers for information not contained in the client certificate.

If you have further questions on what this might contain in these sections let me know.

Gerald Edgar
gwe3409@halcyon.com  (home)
gerald.edgar@boeing.com (work)