Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Gregor N. Purdy" <gr...@focusresearch.com> on 2001/01/19 14:51:18 UTC

Problem with configure --prefix

I just grabbed the source and was working on a build. I did my standard
thing (after the preliminaries related to bringing in neon, etc.):

    $ ./configure --prefix=~
    $ make

This resulted in a build failure due to libtool being unhappy about
one of its arguments:

     /bin/sh ../libtool ... -rpath ~/lib ...
     libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed.

This occurs while building expat-lite. I use --prefix=~ all the time
with GNU software (and other software that uses this configure
mechanism) without running into issues like this. I'm assuming that
somewhere in the config someone needs to convert ~ to $HOME, or if
that is already happening, the code that generates the libtool line
needs to use the variable that contains the translated path.

I'm not comfortable enough with configure stuff to track this beyond
a little greppage, which I've done. For now, I'll reconfigure with
an absolute path, but it sure would be nice if this worked like it
does elsewhere...

Regards,

-- Gregor
    Gregor N. Purdy                          gregor@focusresearch.com
    Focus Research, Inc.                http://www.focusresearch.com/
    6216 Eddington Drive                             513-755-3570 vox
    Liberty Township, OH 45044                       513-755-6647 fax