Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ben O'Hara <bo...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/10 16:35:55 UTC

SA and Exchange 5.5

Hi Guys,
          Unfortunately we use Exchange 5.5 for backend storage of
email within our company (something which isnt likely to change!
although an upgrade to 2003 is on the books)

Anyways, Ive installed SpamAssassin and ClamAV on a dedicated *nix box
with exim which works great for filtering the mail...however, id
rather deliver ALL mail onto exchange and have "spam" messages moved
into a "SPAM" Folder within the users Private Information Store.

Having googled for a while Ive found some information from a while ago
about using Custom Sinks under exchange (although i believe this is
only available from 2k)

Does anyone have this sort of setup? What would you recommend for
filtering mail into folders or any other ways of handling the spam?

I know this is more an exchange related question that SA but id expect
this sort of setup has been done before although i cant find anything
about it!

Thanks in advance.

Ben
--
"The Edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only
people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)

Re: SA and Exchange 5.5

Posted by Craig Jackson <cj...@localsurface.com>.
Ben O'Hara wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>           Unfortunately we use Exchange 5.5 for backend storage of
> email within our company (something which isnt likely to change!
> although an upgrade to 2003 is on the books)
>
> Anyways, Ive installed SpamAssassin and ClamAV on a dedicated *nix box
> with exim which works great for filtering the mail...however, id
> rather deliver ALL mail onto exchange and have "spam" messages moved
> into a "SPAM" Folder within the users Private Information Store.
>

> Having googled for a while Ive found some information from a while ago
> about using Custom Sinks under exchange (although i believe this is
> only available from 2k)

This doesn't answer your question, but....
we set up IMAP folders on the SA box and let users either set up an IMAP
account in Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird to get the junk -- using
Courier-Imap. We have 150 users. Works pretty well. In general I think
it best to keep the junk off of Exchange.

Craig Jackson

Re: SA and Exchange 5.5

Posted by Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>.
Ben O'Hara wrote:
> Anyways, Ive installed SpamAssassin and ClamAV on a dedicated *nix box
> with exim which works great for filtering the mail...however, id
> rather deliver ALL mail onto exchange and have "spam" messages moved
> into a "SPAM" Folder within the users Private Information Store.

You can do this with 2000 and 2003 automatically with this tool.
http://www.ivasoft.biz/spammover.shtml

Otherwise, you'll need to write up a howto for users, and have them
create the folder and Outlook rule themselves.  However, once the rule
is set up in Outlook, it will fire automatically on the Exchange server,
even if your users access their mail through some other interface (OWA,
IMAP, etc).

If you have the resources, I would recommend making the move to Exchange
2003 sooner rather than later.  It is a huge improvement over 5.5 in
almost every way, and is far more secure and standards compliant to boot.

If you're more concerned about quarantine and per-user settings than
SMTP-time rejection, take a look at Maia Mailguard.  It works with
amavisd and Postfix to implement a very sophisticated spam/virus
quarantine and per-user settings which are all easily managed by the
user through a web interface.  False positives can easily be reinjected
back into Postfix for delivery to your Exchange server.

http://www.renaissoft.com/projects/maia/

Exim+Exiscan is a great setup, which I run at work and home, but its
real strength is in SMTP-time rejection.  Since you don't seem to need
or want that, other products may provide better flexibility.

- S