Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/07/07 20:48:26 UTC

Re: svn commit: r178965 - /incubator/public/trunk/site-author/learn/newcommitters.html

At 01:12 PM 7/7/2005, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>For example, from various list threads (including some on this list) I'm gathering that a private list is necessary for discussions about:
>
>   - personnel decisions
>   - legal points
>   - negotiations (could use a little expansion)

Personnel decisions is, of course, the issue we are kicking
back and forth here...

Legal points; we would want to publicly discuss anything about
licensing, regulatory compliance, etc.  The community needs to
understand how we came to whatever conclusion is reached.
We would not want to discuss reacting to a cease & desist notice,
etc, on the public forum; these would be forwarded to our internal
legal team for reaction.

Negotiations; If company "X" was contemplating a contribution,
yet wasn't quite sure if the ASF was the best avenue, then of
course that company might ask us to keep it private.  Similarly,
negotiating licensing terms etc with patent holders would be a
private matter if they asked us.

Security issues; If a reporter comes to us with a vulnerability
prior to it's disclosure, we would want to address that privately
for the benefit of all of our users, until a fix was found.  In
some cases, the reporter wishes for us to keep it quiet a while
longer, while other vendors/projects with similar faults correct
their bugs, and the final announcement/release is coordinated.

The bottom line is this; must it be private?  If not, then the
entire community deserves to observe the process and contribute
their input, and see the history of how we came to where we are.

Bill

Re: svn commit: r178965 - /incubator/public/trunk/site-author/learn/newcommitters.html

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 01:12 PM 7/7/2005, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>

>>For example, from various list threads (including some on this list) I'm gathering that a private list is necessary for discussions about:
>>
>>  - personnel decisions
>>  - legal points
>>  - negotiations (could use a little expansion)
>

> Personnel decisions is, of course, the issue we are kicking
> back and forth here...
>
> Legal points; we would want to publicly discuss anything about
> licensing, regulatory compliance, etc.  The community needs to
> understand how we came to whatever conclusion is reached.
> We would not want to discuss reacting to a cease & desist notice,
> etc, on the public forum; these would be forwarded to our internal
> legal team for reaction.
>
> Negotiations; If company "X" was contemplating a contribution,
> yet wasn't quite sure if the ASF was the best avenue, then of
> course that company might ask us to keep it private.  Similarly,
> negotiating licensing terms etc with patent holders would be a
> private matter if they asked us.
>
> Security issues; If a reporter comes to us with a vulnerability
> prior to it's disclosure, we would want to address that privately
> for the benefit of all of our users, until a fix was found.  In
> some cases, the reporter wishes for us to keep it quiet a while
> longer, while other vendors/projects with similar faults correct
> their bugs, and the final announcement/release is coordinated.
>
> The bottom line is this; must it be private?  If not, then the
> entire community deserves to observe the process and contribute
> their input, and see the history of how we came to where we are.
>
> Bill

this is excellent clarification.

thanks,

  -jean