Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Paul Duffy <pa...@cisco.com> on 2000/09/20 21:40:37 UTC

Solaris 2.6 and multiple threads...still SEQVs on throw().

Hello All...I really need some advice on this one...

As described below, I have a small app that starts up N threads.  Each
thread executes a infinite loop that creates a SAXParser,  performs a
simple SAXParse on a small piece of XML, then destroys the parser.  This
app runs fine on Linux with as many as 20 threads running.

On Solaris 2.6, with a single parse thread started, the app will run fine
indefinitely.

When 2 or more threads are started, the app runs for a bit then SEGVs
within __throw.

I have read the FAQ.  The Solaris 105591 patch was installed on my machine
by IT last week. The machine has been rebooted.  The /var/sadm/patch
directory contains two folders 105591-08 and 105591-09.

I have built the xerces lib (and app) here locally with the Aug 18 snapshot
using gcc 2.8.1

I've run out of ideas....

Cheers,

At 10:48 AM 9/11/00 -0700, Andy Heninger wrote:
>(Sorry for the belated response)
>
>The older Solaris runtime library had a bug in its exception
>throwing code.  It relied on a global variable, and two threads
>throwing at the same time makes for big trouble.
>
>The parsers do throw some exceptions as part of their normal
>operation.
>
>Andy Heninger
>IBM XML Technology Group, Cupertino, CA
>heninger@us.ibm.com

Paul B Duffy                978-244-4754 Fax 978-244-8917
Cisco Systems, Inc.         paduffy@cisco.com
300 Apollo Drive
Chelmsford, MA 01824

Re: Solaris 2.6 and multiple threads...still SEQVs on throw().

Posted by Arundhati Bhowmick <ar...@hyperreal.org>.
The patch was for CC compiler. So, you need to install the patches necessary for
your solaris system and the compiler.
The gcc needs to be updated with the latest one for various compatibility reasons.
The configure scripts are generated from the autoconf. So, before running the
runConfigure script it'd be good to run autoconf. This will ensure your systems
configuration setup in the script.
You may also need to check if the gmake is of 3.78.1 version.
Arundhati

Posted by Paul Duffy <pa...@cisco.com>.
Thank you Arundhati...

Posted by Arundhati Bhowmick <ar...@hyperreal.org>.
It'd be a good idea to install all the latest compiler related patches on the
system.
The problem that you're facing is a multi-threading issue. The patch number
mentioned in the documentation is for CC compiler on solaris. Since you're using