Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yang <te...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/04 22:02:35 UTC

"VM Thread" taking 100% CPU?

I'm running my cassandra cluster (one node), it went fine for a while
under heavy load , using 270% CPU etc (this is a multi-core machine).
but after a while, the CPU utilization dropped to 100%, and the
cluster stopped responding to requests.

I did a jstack , and did

ps ax -L -o tid,pid,%cpu,command|less

I found that one thread is taking 45% of CPU, and the corresponding
entry in the jstack output is:

"VM Thread" prio=10 tid=0x09a50400 nid=0x1a1a runnable

what is the "VM Thread" ?
youkit dump does not show a thread with this name

Thanks
Yang

Re: "VM Thread" taking 100% CPU?

Posted by Yang <te...@gmail.com>.
never mind, I found it,
I was trying to dump out the entire keyspace of 1mil rows, which is
not that big, but somehow caused the GC to bring down the server

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3895940/what-does-java-vm-thread-do