Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Jones, Nick" <ni...@amd.com> on 2010/10/27 15:40:39 UTC

Large amount of corruption after balancer

Hello everyone,

I just recently started running the balancer to fix job errors where a particular task runs out of local disk; however, I've noticed that I usually end up with a significant amount of corruption after it completes.  Has anyone else observed this behavior?

I'm using Cloudera's CDH2 distribution (0.20.1+169.89) and the balancer completes successfully.

Thanks.

Nick Jones

Re: Large amount of corruption after balancer

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hi Nick,

Sorry, I can only come up with a longshot theory.  If the files are corrupted, then that would have happened when block A got copied from node X to Y.  The copying logic is independent of the balancer - the balancer just requests the copy gets made.  After the transfer, the destination block gets checksummed and the checksum is reported to the NN.  If the file is over-replicated, then one other copy gets deleted.

If there's a bug in the logic in the deletion logic and the new copy is corrupt, you could end up deleting the wrong copy.  A bug like this was fixed in 0.18/0.19.  If you additionally only have 2 replicas, you would end up with a corrupt block.

You should be able to see this sequence in your NN logs.  Look to see when the NN realized a given block was first corrupted.  Pick your favorite corrupt block name, and grep out its history from the logs.

However, let's say your cluster is corrupting data at a network level at a large scale.  Then, why would you see it only with the balancer running?

It's hard to see this as a plausible scenario, but, on the other hand, something happened.  It's possible it's just an outright coincidence.

Brian

Posted by "Jones, Nick" <ni...@amd.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hi Nick,

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm...

I see that you're still running CDH2.
You may want to go to CDH3b3.

We tended to see corruption too, albeit in our HBase files.
What happens if you bounce your cloud, wait 5-10 mins for things to sort themselves out and then try running an FSCK?

Posted by "Jones, Nick" <ni...@amd.com>.
Hi Patrick,

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@cloudera.com>.
Nick,

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.
On Oct 27, 2010, at 6:40 AM, Jones, Nick wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just recently started running the balancer to fix job errors where a particular task runs out of local disk; however, I've noticed that I usually end up with a significant amount of corruption after it completes.  Has anyone else observed this behavior?

	With apache, no.

> I'm using Cloudera's CDH2 distribution (0.20.1+169.89) and the balancer completes successfully.

	Sounds like a bug in their distro.