Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Hansi Klose <ha...@web.de> on 2014/05/20 11:35:43 UTC

Upgrade path CDH4 to CDH5 hadoop/hbase with running hbase replication

Hi,

we are starting to think about the upgrade of our existing CDH 4.2.0  Cluster to CDH5.0.1

We have a master Hadoop cluster with hbase and a slave Hadoop cluster with hbase
Hbase replication is enabled from master to slave cluster.

What is the best was to upgrade this environment with a minimum downtime of the master cluster?

My suggestion since now is this way.

1.) shut down hbase in the master cluster

2.) shut down hbase on the slave cluster

3.) shut down hadoop on the master cluster

4.) upgrade hadoop on the master cluster

5.) upgrade zookeeper server for master cluster

6.) upgrade zookeeper server of the slave cluster

7.) start hadoop on the master cluster

8.) upgrade hbase on the master cluster

9.) start hbase on the master cluster

10.) shut down hadoop on the slave cluster

11.) upgrade hadoop on the slave cluster

12.) start hadoop on the slave cluster

13.) upgrade hbase on the slave cluster

14.) start hbase on the slave cluster

Did i miss a step?
If so which step is missing and at what position?

After these steps will replication start automatically?
Or do we have to start the replication again and have to run
copytable jobs for the timerange of the upgrade?

Regards Hansi

Re: Upgrade path CDH4 to CDH5 hadoop/hbase with running hbase replication

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
On 20/05/14 05:35, Hansi Klose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are starting to think about the upgrade of our existing CDH 4.2.0  Cluster to CDH5.0.1
>
> We have a master Hadoop cluster with hbase and a slave Hadoop cluster with hbase
> Hbase replication is enabled from master to slave cluster.
>
> What is the best was to upgrade this environment with a minimum downtime of the master cluster?
>
> My suggestion since now is this way.
>
> 1.) shut down hbase in the master cluster
>
> 2.) shut down hbase on the slave cluster
>
> 3.) shut down hadoop on the master cluster
>
> 4.) upgrade hadoop on the master cluster
>
> 5.) upgrade zookeeper server for master cluster
>
> 6.) upgrade zookeeper server of the slave cluster
>
> 7.) start hadoop on the master cluster
>
> 8.) upgrade hbase on the master cluster
>
> 9.) start hbase on the master cluster
>
> 10.) shut down hadoop on the slave cluster
>
> 11.) upgrade hadoop on the slave cluster
>
> 12.) start hadoop on the slave cluster
>
> 13.) upgrade hbase on the slave cluster
>
> 14.) start hbase on the slave cluster
>
> Did i miss a step?
> If so which step is missing and at what position?
I think that you will find a quicker answer in the Cloudera Users group:
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/#!forum/cdh-user

But anyway, the completed guides to do this are here:
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM5/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Managing-Clusters/cm5mc_upgrade_cdh4_to_5.html

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH5/latest/CDH5-Installation-Guide/cdh5ig_cdh4_to_cdh5_upgrade.html

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM5/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Managing-Clusters/cm5mc_upgrade_tocdh5_using_parcels.html

--