Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <so...@cs.manchester.ac.uk> on 2015/01/08 13:27:50 UTC

Beanshell under Apache?

(CC-ing Simone Tripodi, who was the champion of the proposed Beanshell
incubator.
Simone, we're Apache Taverna, an incubating project for a workflow
system. Taverna relies a lot on Beanshell - but as we understood it's
official release to be under LGPL we are facing the requirement to
keep that functionality as a non-Apache plugin)

Agree that loosing Beanshell by default would be a bit of a challenge
- specially for the Taverna Server which won't have an easy "Install
Taverna Extras" button.

I went through again the archives at

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BeanShellProposal

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201305.mbox/%3CCAJO+UbuNm7aHmov_4tVt6j8nOJMCmMPddH1xONfW5b00tY6i2w@mail.gmail.com%3E

it seems the Apache Beanshell incubator didn't really get accepted -
but supposedly could go directly into Apache Commons anyway?

I am unable to find any further trace of it - so apparently nothing happened :(

Perhaps Simone has some historical details? Are we able to kickstart
this back again?

The source at http://svn.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/beanshell/
(2.05b5) is however granted under Apache license.
https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/beanshell/
Perhaps we could use that? Question is - how to get it into JAR-form.

It is even "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)" and so
should be importable even in source-code form - although that might be
better towards Apache Commons BSF than under Apache Taverna -
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-bsf/

https://code.google.com/p/beanshell2/ is a fork which seems to be more
active (but remains LGPL :-( ).

Apache OpenOffice seems to also have Beanshell support (using 2.0b1) -
but they  only includes it if the build has "ENABLE_CATEGORY_B==YES".

They even copied the source here under the svn branch:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/!svn/bc/1336449/incubator/ooo/trunk/ext_sources/ea570af93c284aa9e5621cd563f54f4d-bsh-2.0b1-src.tar.gz

Actually now I see that the Beanshell 2.0b4 (which we use) is
dual-licensed and also available as "Sun Public License" -  which
could somewhat be OK under Apache:

http://beanshell.org/license.html

https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

So.. given this - what should we do? It seems we don't need to move
Beanshell ACtivity out of Apache Taverna after all. (yay!)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science

Re: Beanshell under Apache?

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 08/01/2015 13:19, alaninmcr wrote:
> On 08/01/2015 13:03, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
>> So for now then, the main thing would just be to include whatever
>> NOTICE markings are required by the Sun Public License and use the
>> 2.0b4 JAR as-is.
>>
>> I'll re-add beanshell-activity to
>> https://github.com/taverna-incubator/taverna-engine-common-activities
>>

>> Alan - your experimental javax.script code - where does it live? It's
>> for Taverna 2.5?
>
> It is at https://github.com/taverna/taverna-script-activity and
> https://github.com/taverna/taverna-script-activity-ui . Yes for 2.5.

Also maybe worth noting http://rforge.net/rscript/ which does a
ScriptEngine to call Rserve. However, rscript is GPL :(

Alan

Re: Beanshell under Apache?

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
> So for now then, the main thing would just be to include whatever
> NOTICE markings are required by the Sun Public License and use the
> 2.0b4 JAR as-is.
>
> I'll re-add beanshell-activity to
> https://github.com/taverna-incubator/taverna-engine-common-activities
>

> Alan - your experimental javax.script code - where does it live? It's
> for Taverna 2.5?

It is at https://github.com/taverna/taverna-script-activity and
https://github.com/taverna/taverna-script-activity-ui . Yes for 2.5.

> We still end up with rshell-activity on the taverna-extras, which is
> important for many users, but not as widespread used across workflows
> as beanshell (mainly as the local workers are done in Beanshell).

We can ask Simon Urbanek the developer(s?) of REngine if there is
anything he/we can do about it.

> Installing Taverna 3 plugins for the server should be easier than in
> 2.5 - as 3.x plugins are single files that can be dropped in on the
> file system.

and we have seen it demonstrated :)

Alan

Re: Beanshell under Apache?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
> The NOTICE file (in the Apache Taverna distribution, not inside
> taverna-beanshell-activity.jar ) is presumably a prominent label.

I'm not familiar enough with what Taverna will actually ship as
binaries.  Source confusion is the big issue though not the end.

In the Taverna distribution in any form there would not be a copy of the
beanshell.org jar?

If not, will the end user be aware they need to assemble it to get he
SPL code?

Note also beanshell.org says:
"""
The "cost" of this software is simply to let us know how you are using
BeanShell.
"""

which is moral obligation even if not legal.  Respect for their work
means we ought to not hide that request.

> I think we have several CDDL dependencies from Java XML and so, they are
> also category-B. as long as they are JAR only then there is no "source
> confusion".

Consider some one/some group wishing to take Taverna, modify it, add to
it, combine it with other open source stuff and publish open source.

Are they clearly aware of the implications on them by the SPL?  My
opinion is that maven used to get a blank set of things, recursive
dependences and all, then it is not a clear action in response to the
cat-B. To emphais - that's my current opinion; maybe/hopefully another
mentor has more experience here - this is the first time I've had to
deal with the SPL.

> Beanshell 2.0b4 (SPL/LGPL) we have only ever used it as a jar from Maven
> central. You need to go to beanshell.org to find the source code manually.

	Andy

PS Good catch on

https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/beanshell/issues/detail?id=11

Re: Beanshell under Apache?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <so...@cs.manchester.ac.uk>.

Re: Beanshell under Apache?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Beanshell under Apache?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <so...@cs.manchester.ac.uk>.

Re: Beanshell under Apache?

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.

[snip]

Re: Beanshell under Apache?

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Thanks a lot for your effort Stian, much more than appreciated! :)

I will try to have a look at the Maven build during the weekend, you kinda
inspired me :D

My Bintray ID is `simonetripodi`, many thanks in advance for adding me in
the deployer list
Have a nice day, all the best!
-Simo

http://twitter.com/simonetripodi