Posted to users@asterixdb.apache.org by sc...@informatik.hu-berlin.de on 2015/09/07 14:03:27 UTC

AsterixDB command line access

Hello AsterixDB group,

I am a student currently working on a diploma thesis to execute AQL on
Apache Flink. Therefor I did setup AsterixDB on a cluster.

My problem is, that I am not in the same network as the cluster and only
have remote command line access, so I cannot reach Asterix's web
interface. I am sure it is possible to run queries via command line, too,
but I could not find anything on that topic on your official documentation
page. Do you have any document you can link me to, that provides a basic
explanation how to work with AsterixDB without the web interface?

Best Regards,
Max Schultze

Re: AsterixDB command line access

Posted by Eldon Carman <ec...@ucr.edu>.
Apache VXQuery uses a command line interface. I wonder how much could be
reused for AsterixDB. Apache VXQuery cli builds the Hyracks job and sends
that to the cluster, where I think in the AsterixDB world you would want to
use the HTTP-based API and allow the server to compile the Hyracks job. The
cli for AsterixDB seems like a simple interface that connects to the
HTTP-based API.

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
I'm certain more than one person has created a command-line utility at
some point (I think Chris had one at some point? There's one lurking
in asterix-tools, not sure if it's that one, or that is yet another
one). The HTTP API though isn't so complex (hopefully?) as to really
merit a special client in most cases.

If one just has a shell account, and port forwarding is available,
Till's suggestion is definitely a good one, and usually what I do.
However if for some reason that isn't tenable, 'curl' should also do
the trick. For example:

curl --data 'use dataverse issues;
{
"projects" : [ {
"name" : "asterixdb",
"key": "ASTERIXDB",
"description": "AsterixDB is a semi-structured, parallel data
management platform.",
"components": ["AsterixDB","Hyracks"],
"issues": for $y in dataset jiraIssues return $y
} ]
}' -H "Accept: application/x-adm" http://localhost:19002/aql >
/files/adb_jira_issues.json

Just replace the --data part with your query, and the host with the
proper one that's behind the firewall. I'm piping the output to a file
here, but stdout is fine too.

-Ian

Posted by sc...@informatik.hu-berlin.de.

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi Max,

Posted by Eldon Carman <ec...@ucr.edu>.

Re: Re: AsterixDB command line access

Posted by 李文海 <lw...@whu.edu.cn>.
Hi, Max
If you like, we also provide a key/value transactions http-api testbed for testing. Ping us if you want.
Best,
Wenhai

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi Max,