Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> on 2004/06/26 19:10:54 UTC

maintaining lenya-site skin

Hello devs,

I found some mayor problems with our skin. We can have only 2 subleves
because the skin does not support more. That makes it unusable for the
documentation. I *could* fix that but the question raises why maintain
our own skin? Just to keep our look ant feel? That can be done using the
skinconf.xml.

Have a look at http://www.apache.org/~thorsten/prueba/. It is not
perfect yet. I used the krysalis-site and changed the colors in the
skinconf.xml.

I will ask whether it is possible to:
- move the left logo a wee bit to the left
- move the right logo to absolute right (if no search box is activated)
- desactivate the published notice on the top right
- desactivate the font size script
- move the build with forrest logo into the footer
- desactivate the 'breadcrumb trail' of links
- enhance the tab bar menu in terms of font size
with configuration of the skinconf.xml. If not, then how to implement
that with minimal code.

This way we do not have to mantain a skin and could easiely switch to
other skins and maintain our cooperate identity (ci, or look 'n feel)
without extra work. That makes it easy as well to use newest skin
features from the base skin.

WDYT?
thorsten

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

<@c...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <http>http://www.target-x.de</http>
  <acronymfinder>http://www.acronymfinder.com</acronymfinder>
  <motto>
	"My task which I am trying to achieve is,
	by the power of the written word,
	[...] to make you see."
	*Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>
</thorsten>

Re: maintaining lenya-site skin

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Scherler, Thorsten wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> [...]

> :) I meant a wee bit to the right! Like we have now, me do not like
> that it touches the left border of the bowser.

Still thinking about a good way to do that! ;-) I will have a look for
that this afternoon and will report back.

>>> - desactivate the published notice on the top right
>>

>> -1
>>

> You want to stick with that? Alright! Less work ;-)

Have not touched that! But still looking for the color parameter of the
font :(.  :) I will find it!

>>> - desactivate the font size script
>>

>> +1
>>

> I have a solution like introducing
>   <!-- If true, the font size script will not be rendered -->
>   <disable-font-script>false</disable-font-script>
> to the skinconf.xml.
>
> ...but that would mean to alter the
> <!DOCTYPE skinconfig PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Skin Configuration
> V0.6-2//EN" "skinconfig-v06-2.dtd">
>
> I have to request that by forrest.

I did that and will apply that in the SVN- Head of forrest (I got the go
of David and Nicola) :) this afternoon. So we can use in skinconf.xml:
<disable-font-script>true</disable-font-script
...and turn the font on/off :).

I will try to do similar changes for the rest of our requests. Trying to
say I will make it configurable in skinconf.xml so we (and anybodyelse)
can use it.

I will update the example site tonight and show my successes.

King regards
thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información S.A.U.

Re: maintaining lenya-site skin

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Have a look at http://www.apache.org/~thorsten/prueba/. It is not
>> perfect yet. I used the krysalis-site and changed the colors in the
>> skinconf.xml.
>>
>> I will ask whether it is possible to:
>> - move the left logo a wee bit to the left
>

> It already touches the left border in my browser ...

:) I meant a wee bit to the right! Like we have now, me do not like that
it touches the left border of the bowser.

>> - move the right logo to absolute right (if no search box is activated)
>

> +1
>
>> - desactivate the published notice on the top right
>

> -1

You want to stick with that? Alright! Less work ;-)

>> - desactivate the font size script
>

> +1

I have a solution like introducing
   <!-- If true, the font size script will not be rendered -->
   <disable-font-script>false</disable-font-script>
to the skinconf.xml.

...but that would mean to alter the
<!DOCTYPE skinconfig PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Skin Configuration
V0.6-2//EN" "skinconfig-v06-2.dtd">

I have to request that by forrest.

>> - move the build with forrest logo into the footer
>

> +1
>
>> - desactivate the 'breadcrumb trail' of links
>

> -1

Dunno, I realy do not mind them. Trying to say that we can stick with them.

>> - enhance the tab bar menu in terms of font size
>

> -1 (change browser settings instead)

If you compare the original lenya skin with the proposed you will see
that the tab bar is quite different. The original have border and the
fontsize is 75%. If we don't mind we can drop that but I like the
origninal more ;-)

>> [...]
>

> +1
>
> Additions:
>
> * use a dark font color of the "published" text
>   (but I wouldn't remove it)

Ok I will change the color to black and we stick with the "published" text.

> * maybe use a darker background color for the inactive tabs
>   (they are hard to see on my LCD because they don't
>   have a border)

Will have a look:
* darken the background of inactive tabs
* introducing border for the tabs.

Which is less work I will apply ;-).

> BTW, my mozilla 1.8a1 has some problems rendering the lower
> edge of the menu (see attached screenshot).

Yeah, dunno why that happends will have a look for it. in IE that
happends as well!

> Apart from that, it's fine with me to choose this skin.

Ok.

King regards
thorsten

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
> [...]
>
>> - move the right logo to absolute right (if no search box is activated)
>

> +1

Done! I changed the krysalis-site source the way that if no search box
is selected the colspan will extended and the align switches from center
to right. If the search box is select it is the old krysalis-site layout.

>> - move the build with forrest logo into the footer
>

> +1

This I have to do today to finish off.

> Additions:
>
> * use a dark font color of the "published" text
>   (but I wouldn't remove it)

I suround it by a div.
...but the problem seems to be if I declare it in the forrest.css.xslt
(so that it is customazible form the skinconf.xml) it is white again.
If I just add it to page.css it is the color I definine there.

Have to look on that one this afternoon.

> * maybe use a darker background color for the inactive tabs
>   (they are hard to see on my LCD because they don't
>   have a border)

Ok, I tried some colors yesterday, but the truth is that I am far from
being  webdesigner. Tell me which color and I apply it ;-)

> BTW, my mozilla 1.8a1 has some problems rendering the lower
> edge of the menu (see attached screenshot).

Yeah, actually that costed me some hour to find the problem:
the code looks like:

The problem with that is that border bottomborder does not (never)
render a lower edge of the menu (by default). If I added &#160; between
got a lower edge border but as a side effect it takes the right and left
border away.

Like I said I have not find a solution for that one! If you know how we
can fix it jut tell me.

I will finish up tonight and update the "prueba" so we can see on vote
on it!

> Apart from that, it's fine with me to choose this skin.
>
> -- Andreas

Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información S.A.U.
Avda. de la Arboleda s/n
41940 - Tomares,  (Sevilla)
Tlfn: (+34) 955 062 627
e-mail: thorsten.scherler.ext@juntadeandalucia.es

Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo,
contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su
destinatario o destinatarios. Queda prohibida su divulgación, copia o
distribución a terceros sin la previa autorización escrita de "Sociedad
Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información, S.A.U.". Si no
es Ud. el destinatario del mensaje le ruego lo destruya sin hacer copia
digital o física, comunicando a Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la
Sociedad de la Información S.A.U. vía e-mail o fax la recepción del presente
mensaje. Toda declaración de voluntad contenida deberá ser tenida por no
producida. Gracias.
___________________

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and
solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). You are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication
is prohibited without the prior written consent of "Sociedad Andaluza para
el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información, S.A.U.". If you are not the
formal receiver of this message please destroy it without making any digital
or physical copy and inform "Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la
Sociedad de la Información S.A.U." , by e-mail or fax, of the reception of
the present message. Any whatsoever involuntary declaration contained
herewith must be taken as having no legal effect. Thank you.

Re: maintaining lenya-site skin

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> [...]
>
> its a good start. i would:
>
> * get rid of the text size thingie

Have to wait for an answer on forrest-dev for that.

> * get rid of the validation buttons (they pollute the layout)

Done.
<!-- Do we want to disable w3c compliance links? -->
   <disable-compliance-links>true</disable-compliance-links>

> other than that, i don't care much for our own skin.

Ok. I feel the same.

thorsten

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya