Posted to user@commons.apache.org by bo...@us.army.mil on 2006/02/22 16:39:53 UTC

When actual upload occurs

Please excuse my ignorance, but I can't seem to find when the file upload occurs.  Does it occur when the user submits the file/form and the file is stored to the temp file?  Or is when file is submitted, details such as name and size are submitted, but the file is still on the user's PC waiting to be upload?

I'm look at building a form that accepts large files (100+ MB).  I want to build a progress bar, and request small chunks of the file, and updating the progress bar every time a chunk is successfully uploaded.  In the user guide, it shows writing at:

// Process a file upload
if (writeToFile) {
    File uploadedFile = new File(...);
    item.write(uploadedFile);
}

So I guess to restate my question, is the user's file already uploaded to "item" and is waiting to be written to a permanent file?

Or is the "item" variable just a reference to the file on the user's PC, and is actually uploaded when you call item.write()?

Any clearification on this is greatly appreciated.  :)