Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/03 12:21:49 UTC

[discussion] Roadmap for Open Office

Hello all,

I thought a little. There were some people claiming that they want to
help. But then wrote nothing more. I think if you come here, with the
will to fight alone through all the mess, you will give up fast because
you have no Idea what your next step is. I personally do not have the
Problem, since I have a plan what I want to do. However I think this is
not true for a lot of people.
I would like to get us a bit organized. Get people work to do, while
giving everyone the freedom the need / claim in order to advance.

So I suggest to keep Bugzilla as Bugtracker, and use Jira as a Todo
backlog List type. I love Agile methology. Never came to use it thought,
because companies can not deal well if there is no timeframe. But I
think for us its perfect.

This is something that might be small sounding, but there are lots of
tasks involved. We collect all the necessary tasks List them up, and
offer them on the TODO Bazar (The Backlog).
Volunteers can take the task from there, and solve it. It gets
introduced into our trunc. If task is fullfilled, we generate a release
out of it.

I do not have an example ready. But maybe just roughly the signing issue:
# EPIC: Signing in MAC
## Extend build tool with sign task
## build Online certificate vault plus client
## Test system

Some thing like this. Maybe a bit more detailed, best Idea would be that
no task takes more then estimated 12h to accomplish.
If we manage to chop tasks into small pieces like this It is easy to wor
through the tasks.

What do you think? Is this nuts? What are your thoughts?
I think if we have such a roadmap, we can go also on public and have
something to talk about. I think it would make our Project a lot more
lovely.

All the best
Peter

Re: [discussion] Roadmap for Open Office

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
On 12/06/2016 01:39 AM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> I have created a page on the Confluence Wiki
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Roadmap
>

> I made a start, with Points that came into my mind without haveing to
> check on something. I thought we have in the upper Region our Release
> Plan and the a Backlog where we simply collect Toppics which we can
> then devide and maybe add to our release plan by copy paste.
>
> I have kept every point quite short and crisp. Please feel free to add
> or change Points.
>
> As soon as I have access I would like to delete the Roadmap on Media
> wiki Page and refered Files. (->
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Features and
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/ooo_roadmap.pdf )
>

> Maybe it would make sense to add to
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Product_Release the Releases 4.1.4
> with some rough estimate (my suggestion would be Q1 2017) and also add
> 4.2.0 with a note to be decided or something.
>
> So it is clear that we have more Releases in the pipe.
>

> That would clear the situation up a bit.
>

> All the best
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the initiative.

I agree,  some people may show up and need a place to find helpful tasks.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [discussion] Roadmap for Open Office

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/06/2016 07:39 AM, schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> I have created a page on the Confluence Wiki
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Roadmap
>
> I made a start, with Points that came into my mind without haveing to
> check on something. I thought we have in the upper Region our Release
> Plan and the a Backlog where we simply collect Toppics which we can then
> devide and maybe add to our release plan by copy paste.
>
> I have kept every point quite short and crisp. Please feel free to add
> or change Points.

great, thanks for the start.

> As soon as I have access I would like to delete the Roadmap on Media
> wiki Page and refered Files. (->
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Features and
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/ooo_roadmap.pdf )

Right, they are really outdated and no longer needed.

> Maybe it would make sense to add to
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Product_Release the Releases 4.1.4 with
> some rough estimate (my suggestion would be Q1 2017) and also add 4.2.0
> with a note to be decided or something.

I've added a line for 4.1.4 and 4.2.0. Let's see if this makes a
difference. ;-)

Marcus

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Peter Kovacs wrote:
> Also there are lots of document that describe old processes in Planing
> and so forth. We should Archive them too. However I can not move things
> to an appropriate Folder.
> So I left the Link to avoid unlinked pages.
> Can we maybe add a Open Office.org Archieve and move all the depricated
> pages there?

Sure. Why can't you move pages? Do you think it's a matter of
permissions? We can look into giving additional permissions.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [discussion] Roadmap for Open Office

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.
I have now Archieved the Roadmap on the Mediawiki. It is now in a
subpage features/Archieve/OOo 3.3
And put a note out that the new Roadmap is to be found on the Confluence
Wiki.
But I have not delivered any link. Should I add it?

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/05/2016 09:35 PM, schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Because I read much concern about the freedom of activity and
> meritocratic spirit of the Project. In my eyes it is not about who does
> what, but where we want to go. This has to be a common understanding.
> Nothing more, nothing less is the intent. The meritocratic workbase is
> not affected by this. If people do not agree, on a single common goal,
> then this is as okay as we agree on one vision how Open Office will change.

it's not pro or contra regarding a product roadmap. It's just where to
document this. Maybe this was not clearly enough expressed.

Marcus

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 12/5/2016 12:35 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> # Concerning 12h period. (did not find who brought this up :) )
> What I mean is that it would be great if we could devide all activities
> in good estimate able chunks. Agile methology claims everything that an
> experienced developer estimates beyond 24h h (3 working days) of effort
> is inaccurate and there is a high propability that something has been
> forgotten.

There are important, even essential, tasks that cannot be handled in
neat, tidy, estimatable chunks.

I am trying to simultaneously learn AOO internals and analyze a bug.
Debug on a very large body of unfamiliar, long-maintained code is a
messy process. I have done it intermittently for decades, and still
don't know a way to make it clean and tidy. I usually know what to do
for the current step, but the next step will depend on its results.

It is less a matter of "something has been forgotten" than of "most of
the necessary knowledge is not yet known".

It would be great if we could divide **some** activities in good
estimatable chunks. I just don't think aiming for "all" makes sense. On
the other hand, the tasks that can be handled in tidy pieces are exactly
the ones relatively inexperienced contributors should be starting on.

Re: [discussion] Roadmap for Open Office

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter, *

Am 12/3/2016 um 1:21 PM schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Hello all,
>
> I thought a little. There were some people claiming that they want to
> help. But then wrote nothing more. I think if you come here, with the
> will to fight alone through all the mess, you will give up fast
> because you have no Idea what your next step is. I personally do not
> have the Problem, since I have a plan what I want to do. However I
> think this is not true for a lot of people.
> I would like to get us a bit organized. Get people work to do, while
> giving everyone the freedom the need / claim in order to advance.
This can be one reason. An other one could be, that they see, that all
is more complicated as they expect, and they give up.. It's a common
thing, that a much more people offer help than realy jump in.

> So I suggest to keep Bugzilla as Bugtracker, and use Jira as a Todo
> backlog List type. I love Agile methology. Never came to use it
> thought, because companies can not deal well if there is no timeframe.
> But I think for us its perfect.
>
> This is something that might be small sounding, but there are lots of
> tasks involved. We collect all the necessary tasks List them up, and
> offer them on the TODO Bazar (The Backlog).
Listing where we working on, is a good idea. But also keep in mind, that
everyone deside on there own if what they do
> Volunteers can take the task from there, and solve it. It gets
> introduced into our trunc. If task is fullfilled, we generate a
> release out of it.
>
> I do not have an example ready. But maybe just roughly the signing issue:
> # EPIC: Signing in MAC
> ## Extend build tool with sign task
> ## build Online certificate vault plus client
> ## Test system
>
> Some thing like this. Maybe a bit more detailed, best Idea would be
> that no task takes more then estimated 12h to accomplish.
> If we manage to chop tasks into small pieces like this It is easy to
> wor through the tasks.
I believe 12h task is unrealistic

> What do you think? Is this nuts? What are your thoughts?
> I think if we have such a roadmap, we can go also on public and have
> something to talk about. I think it would make our Project a lot more
> lovely.
At least, I think, OpenOffice stays OpenOffice. It's big, complicated
and not a smart project for programmer. It's mor a challange as fun. But
there are people who search the challenge and they are right here.

Regards Raphael

Re: [discussion] Roadmap for Open Office

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

> From: Peter Kovacs [mailto:leginee@gmail.com]

> I thought a little. There were some people claiming that they want to
> help. But then wrote nothing more. I think if you come here, with the
> will to fight alone through all the mess, you will give up
> fast because
> you have no Idea what your next step is. I personally do not have the
> Problem, since I have a plan what I want to do. However I
> think this is
> not true for a lot of people.
> I would like to get us a bit organized. Get people work to do, while
> giving everyone the freedom the need / claim in order to advance.
>
> So I suggest to keep Bugzilla as Bugtracker, and use Jira as a Todo
> backlog List type. I love Agile methology. Never came to use
> it thought,
> because companies can not deal well if there is no timeframe. But I
> think for us its perfect.
>
> This is something that might be small sounding, but there are lots of
> tasks involved. We collect all the necessary tasks List them up, and
> offer them on the TODO Bazar (The Backlog).
> Volunteers can take the task from there, and solve it. It gets
> introduced into our trunc. If task is fullfilled, we generate
> a release
> out of it.
>
> I do not have an example ready. But maybe just roughly the
> signing issue:
> # EPIC: Signing in MAC
> ## Extend build tool with sign task
> ## build Online certificate vault plus client
> ## Test system
>
> Some thing like this. Maybe a bit more detailed, best Idea
> would be that
> no task takes more then estimated 12h to accomplish.
> If we manage to chop tasks into small pieces like this It is
> easy to wor
> through the tasks.
>
> What do you think? Is this nuts? What are your thoughts?
> I think if we have such a roadmap, we can go also on public and have
> something to talk about. I think it would make our Project a lot more
> lovely.

+1

Basically, I support your statements.

Please understand, however, that I do not want to interfere in details if these details concern the work of programmers because the project works meritocratically.

On the margins, I would like to point out that a roadmap, when it comes about, should also consider non-programming tasks.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: [discussion] Roadmap for Open Office

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I think there is something that comes before this. Developers need to be
able to build AOO. I think we still need more work on the step-by-step
instructions, making sure they are complete and work for all systems.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 12/4/2016 2:13 PM, toki wrote:

> On 03/12/16 12:21, Peter Kovacs wrote:
>
>> But then wrote nothing more. I think if you come here, with the
>> will to fight alone through all the mess, you will give up fast because
>> you have no Idea what your next step is.
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Features
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/ooo_roadmap.pdf
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Product_Release

Product Release was updated today. Was a simple one line addition to add
4.1.3 Release which you could have added when you saw it was missing.

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
+1 for a roadmap!

regards, Matthias