Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Yaron Avital <ya...@diffdoof.com> on 2008/07/03 15:41:59 UTC

What is the preferred OS to deploy shindig in production

Hi All,

I want to deploy shindig in our system and I was wondering what is the
preferred OS in deploy shindig in production?

Solaris or Linux? If Linux which version (centOS, RedHat, Ubuntu)?

Thanks,

Yaron

DiffDoof

Re: What is the preferred OS to deploy shindig in production

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Yaron Avital <ya...@diffdoof.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I want to deploy shindig in our system and I was wondering what is the
> preferred OS in deploy shindig in production?
>
> Solaris or Linux? If Linux which version (centOS, RedHat, Ubuntu)?

It doesn't really matter as long as the shindig platform (Java or PHP)
you're deploying is well supported on your target platform. Linux works fine
for both, though I've occasionally run into issues with PHP on Solaris
(though that may have had as much to do with Sun's hardware as Solaris
itself). The linux distro shouldn't really matter so long as you've
configured it correctly. All the distros you've listed are set up to be
desktop environments out of the box (unless you're talking about RHEL4+,
which favors server operation by default), and require significant tweaking
to work correctly. I normally run Debian on my own machines, but really, as
long as you're not running X in the background it probably doesn't matter at
all.