Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/19 19:26:31 UTC

DisjunctionMaxQuery and scoring

I am trying to solve a problem using DisjunctionMaxQuery.

Consider a query like:

a:b OR c:d OR e:f OR ...
name:richard OR name:dick OR name:dickie OR name:rich ...

At most, one of the richard names matches. So the match score gets
dragged down by the long list of things that don't match, as the list
can get quite long.

It seemed to me, upon reading the documentation, that I could cure
this problem by creating a query tree that used DisjunctionMaxQuery
around all those nicknames. However, when I built a boolean query that
had, as a clause, a DisjunctionMaxQuery in the place of a pile of
these individual Term queries, the score and the explanation did not
change at all -- in particular, the coord term shows the same number
of total terms. So it looks as if the children of the disjunction
still count.

Is there a way to control that term? Or a better way to express this?
Thinking SQL for a moment, what I'm trying to express is

   name IN (richard, dick, dickie, rich)

as a single term query. Reading the javadoc, I am seeing
MultiTermQuery, and I'm that it is what we want.

Re: DisjunctionMaxQuery and scoring

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Turning on disableCoord for a nested boolean query does not seem to
change the overall maxCoord term as displayed in explain.

Re: DisjunctionMaxQuery and scoring

Posted by David Murgatroyd <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, there seems to be an explain bug in 2.9.1 that is fixed in
3.6.0, so I'm no longer confused about the actual behavior.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Uwe and Robert,

Thanks. David and I are two peas in one pod here at Basis.

--benson

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM, David Murgatroyd <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In contrast, I think the desire
> is that one and only one of the terms in the document match those in the
> BooleanQuery so that "Rich" would score higher than "Dick Rich", given
> document length normalization. It's almost like a desire for
> BooleanQuery bq = new BooleanQuery(false);
>  bq.set*Maximum*NumberShouldMatch(1);

you can, by returning a customized weight with a coord impl that
PUNISHES documents that match > 1 sub.

Take a look at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/lucene/queries/src/java/org/apache/lucene/queries/BoostingQuery.java
for some inspiration, especially this part:

BooleanQuery result = new BooleanQuery() {
        @Override
        public Weight createWeight(IndexSearcher searcher) throws IOException {
          return new BooleanWeight(searcher, false) {

            @Override
            public float coord(int overlap, int max) {
              // your logic here when overlap == 1, > 1, etc

--
lucidimagination.com

Re: DisjunctionMaxQuery and scoring

Posted by David Murgatroyd <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> it applies only to that query itself. So if this BQ is a clause to
>>> another BQ that has coord enabled,
>>> that would not change the top-level BQ's coord.
>>>
>>> Note: if you don't want coord at all, then you can also plug in a
>>> Similarity that returns 1,
>>> or pick another Similarity like BM25: in trunk only the vector space
>>> impl even does anything for coord()....
>>
>> Robert, I'm sorry that my density is approaching lead. My problem is
>> that I want coord, but I want to control which terms are counted and
>> which are not. I suppose I can accomplish this with my own scorer. My
>> hope was that there was a way to express "This group of terms counts
>> as one for coord".
>
> So just structure your boolean query appropriately?
>
> BQ1(coord=true)
>  BQ2(coord=false): 25 terms
>  BQ3(coord=false): 87 terms
>
> BQ1's coord is based on how many subscorers match (out of 2, BQ2 and
> BQ3). If both match its 2/2 otherwise 1/2.
>
> But in this example BQ2 and BQ3 disable coord themselves, hiding the
> fact they accept 25 and 87 terms respectively and appearing as a
> single sub for coord().
>
> Does this make sense? you can extend this idea to control this however
> you want by structuring the BQ appropriately so your BQ's with
> "synonyms" have coord=0

Robert,

This makes perfect sense, it is what I thought you meant to begin
with. I tried it and thought that it did not work. Or, perhaps, I am
misreading the 'explain' output. Or, more likely, I goofed altogether.
I'll go back and recheck my results and post some explain output if I
can't find my mistake.

--benson

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think you just want to disable coord() here? You can do this for
>>> that particular boolean query by passing true to the ctor:
>>>
>>>  public BooleanQuery(boolean disableCoord)
>>
>> Rob,
>>
>> How do nested queries work with respect to this? If I build a boolean
>> query one of whose clauses is a BooleanQuery with coord turned off,
>> does just the nested query insides get left out of 'coord'?
>>
>> If so, then your answer certainly seems to be what the doctor ordered.
>>

> it applies only to that query itself. So if this BQ is a clause to
> another BQ that has coord enabled,
> that would not change the top-level BQ's coord.
>
> Note: if you don't want coord at all, then you can also plug in a
> Similarity that returns 1,
> or pick another Similarity like BM25: in trunk only the vector space
> impl even does anything for coord()....

Robert, I'm sorry that my density is approaching lead. My problem is
that I want coord, but I want to control which terms are counted and
which are not. I suppose I can accomplish this with my own scorer. My
hope was that there was a way to express "This group of terms counts
as one for coord".

In other words, for a subset of fields in the query, I want to scale
the entire score by the fraction of them that match.

Another way to think about this, which might be no use at all, is to
wonder: is there a way to charge a score penalty for failure to match
a particular query term? That would, from another direction, address
the underlying effect I'm trying to get.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.