Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2010/07/08 18:05:41 UTC

GSoC: How are things going?

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've seen mailing list discussion on the GSoC
projects. Mid-term evaluations are coming up next week. I'm wondering how
things are going in general.

Ishan / Udayanga / Sanjaya,

Can each of you share a bit on your progress? Things you've accomplished?
Challenges you might be having, possibly that we could help you with?

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: GSoC: How are things going?

Posted by udayanga wickramasinghe <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,
thnx for the feedback you have given. yes i should have put "override.xslt"
file inside Xerces sources and load it as a internal System Resource..thnx
for pointing that out. :-) .I'll do the necessary modifications...

Regards,
Udayanga

Re: GSoC: How are things going?

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Udayanga,

Re: GSoC: How are things going?

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Your welcome Sanjaya. Looking forward to seeing the xpointer() support come
together.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: GSoC: How are things going?

Posted by Sanjaya Liyanage <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,Hi developers,

Re: GSoC: How are things going?

Posted by udayanga wickramasinghe <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael , Hi devs,

--
http://www.udayangawiki.blogspot.com

Re: GSoC: How are things going?

Posted by Ishan Jayawardena <ud...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael, Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback.

On 7/20/10, Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Just curious. Are methods 1. and 2. being added to XSObject or is this a
> new interface?

Well, we have created two classes. One for the SCD Parser (SCDParser)
and one for the SCD resolver (SCDResolver). The methods 1 and 2 have
been added to the SCDResolver class. The SCDParser class handles all
the parsing jobs including parsing of relative SCDs and SCPs and
creating Steps from those parsed expressions.

> So you may have noticed we've been discussing what the minimum JDK level
> should be for the immediate future. Based on that I think we're only going
> to require JDK 1.4 for the XML Schema 1.1 implementation, which means we
> cannot use generics yet.

That will be OK. We will use the existing XSObjectList interface
instead of Generics until we switch to a higher JDK version. But I
prefer using Generics.

> Hmmm... not sure of the details, but wonder if there's an alternate
> solution where we could introduce a new interface which both XSObject and
> XSModel extend. Perhaps Sandy could comment.

Well, I'm not sure either. I think the option that you've suggested is
much better because still, I think there's no any efficient way to get
the current components that are linked to a given component by a given
arc and there's other SCD related stuff that can be clearly separated
from XSObject interface and made to a different unit(i.e an interface
or a class). This will be much more meaningful.

> Makes sense since we haven't defined these yet in the XSModel. Something to
> do later.

Yes.
Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Ishan Jayawardena (ඉෂාන් ජයවර්ධන).

Re: GSoC: How are things going?

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Ishan,

It sounds like things are going well. A few comments / questions below.

Ishan Jayawardena <ud...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/08/2010 02:24:46 PM:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for reminding us. Actually for the past couple of weeks I was
> writing the SCDParser.I am sorry about not sending updates
> regularly. Sandy and I talk once a week and in our call we plan work
> for the upcoming week and review the work done during that week.
> Right now, the following is the API that we suggest for SCD
>
> 1. public XSObjectList resolve(String relativeSCD)  // xmlns(p=
> http://example.com/schema/po)xscd(/type::p:USAddress)
> 2. public XSObjectList resolve(String relativeSCD, XSObject current)
>
> 3. public static XSObjectList resolve(String scp, NamespaceContext
> nsContext) // /type::p:USAddress
> 4. public static XSObjectList resolve(String scp, NamespaceContext
> nsContext, XSObject current)
>
> If you have any suggestion about any of these methods, please let us
know.

Just curious. Are methods 1. and 2. being added to XSObject or is this a
new interface?

> As I have mentioned in my proposal, the project work consists of two
> main components
> 1. writing the SCD parser
> 2. writing the SCD evaulator
> So by now, I have completed 95% of the parser and now looking into
> the spec and the XSModel and other related interfaces with the help
> of Sandy, to start writing the evaulator. Actually, we started its work
today.

> There are couple of challenges that I came across when trying to
> write the parser and the evaluator.
> The first problem was spoken out in the list once. It is about
> whether to use Generics or not. And for now, we have decided not to
> use Generics. I would like to know your suggestions about this matter.

So you may have noticed we've been discussing what the minimum JDK level
should be for the immediate future. Based on that I think we're only going
to require JDK 1.4 for the XML Schema 1.1 implementation, which means we
cannot use generics yet.

> The next challenge is that the XSModel interface does not implement
> the XSObject interface like other interfaces that correspond to
> other schema components do. So this is going to affect the design of
> the resolve() methods and for now, we have decided to handle the
> schema component separately. In the mean time, Sandy will be looking
> into modifying XSModel interface to implement the XSObject interface
> and once it's done, we will be able to handle schema components in
> the same way as other components.

Hmmm... not sure of the details, but wonder if there's an alternate
solution where we could introduce a new interface which both XSObject and
XSModel extend. Perhaps Sandy could comment.

> In addition to that, we are unable to support the following component
types

> Components defined in XML schema 1.1
> 1. Type Alternative
> 2. Assertion

Makes sense since we haven't defined these yet in the XSModel. Something to
do later.

> Component types not defined yet for Xerces
> 1. Fundamental Facet
>
> We have decided to return empty parameters appropriately when we
> encounter them within the implementation.
> If you have any suggestion regarding any of these matters, or if you
> want to know about any specific details about the methods or the
> classes involved (i.e. the overall design) please let me know.
>
> Thank you very much.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development