Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2011/11/01 12:57:01 UTC

Re: Is there a way to reset statistics counts on QMF Managed Objects

On 10/31/2011 06:05 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> Is there any way (short of restarting the broker!!) to reset the counts?
> Looking through the QMF methods in management-schema.xml there's nothing
> obvious, so I'm guessing not, but you never know.

No, there isn't.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Is there a way to reset statistics counts on QMF Managed Objects

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Gordon Irving wrote:
> Would it be possible to request such a feature, we are today going to restart one of our production brokers to correct this.  It would be a lot easier if we could call a qmf method and reset to zero.

I've raised a Jira:

Hope that's OK.
> In answer to Fraser Adams questions over monitoring, we have a bespoke qmf console that collects queue/exchange stats and stores them in a database, we then have nagios alerts based off of these on thresholds and freshness.

Thanks. Are you using the python console stuff or any other language?
Out of curiosity have you looked into Cumin? I'm playing with it in my
set-up at home and trying to persuade my developers that it's in their
best interests to get it up and running in our environment at work.
Sometimes you can lead a horse to water :-) ....

Re "we then have nagios alerts based off of these on thresholds and
freshness". You might already be aware of this, but in case not... as of
Qpid 0.10 there's an Event available:

<event name="queueThresholdExceeded" sev="warn" args="qName, msgDepth,
byteDepth"/>

That makes it pretty easy to trigger alerts when a threshold gets
exceeded. If you've not already discovered this it's worth a play.

Posted by Gordon Irving <go...@sophos.com>.
Would it be possible to request such a feature, we are today going to restart one of our production brokers to correct this.  It would be a lot easier if we could call a qmf method and reset to zero.

In answer to Fraser Adams questions over monitoring, we have a bespoke qmf console that collects queue/exchange stats and stores them in a database, we then have nagios alerts based off of these on thresholds and freshness.

Cheers
Gordon

Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 991 2418 08.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org