Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Yeliz Eseryel <ye...@alum.syracuse.edu> on 2007/04/25 17:18:46 UTC

Re: [Request] A Interview Request from Syracuse University OSS Research Group

Hi Ole,
We're trying to understand whether different people in the group have
similar understandings about the project, its community, the rules and
norms, etc.
The hypothesis being "developers of successful projects have similar
mental models"
So we'll talk with different people, and then develop something called
"cognitive maps" for each developer and then come up with the
cognitive map of the whole team. It will actually be quite interesting
for you guys to see as well.

I also have another project in mind, that I was just talking to Alex
about: that's about the roles of the team members.

So the approach requires individual interviews I think, however, if
people who cannot attend ApacheCon Europe email us, we can do
interviews via skype or email, etc. Once we do the interviews, we can
also do the discussion on the listserv :)
Yeliz.

--
Yeliz Eseryel
Ph.D Student in Information Science & Technology

Re: [Request] A Interview Request from Syracuse University OSS Research Group

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,
I want to add my 2 cents and say that I agree that this mailing list is not
appropriate for such a topic.  The dev lists are for development discussions
and spamming it with the other information may in fact turn off part of the
ApacheDS audience that monitors these lists.

I think that the community will benefit from the results and conclusions,
but not the noise required to get there.  I am sure that the raw data will
be available if requested...

Chris

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hey Emmanuel,

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Ole

> Ole Ersoy a écrit :
> <snip/>
> I think this will be most useful
> to the Apache Directory group
> if the questions are asked
> through the mailing list.

<snip/>

I think the point is not to be 'usefull to the ADS group', but to
fulfill some research they are doing.
They drive the research, they choose the media. This ML is focused on
dev discussion, and exchanging dozens of off-topic mails here would
harms the 200 subscribed people. If they prefer interviews, fine. If you
don't want to answer or participate, fine again. What I would just ask
from her is of course a feedback, when the research is over !

Thanks
Emmanuel

Re: [Request] A Interview Request from Syracuse University OSS Research Group

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Yeliz,

Sounds great.  Like Alex said, it may be only myself
that thinks that it's valuable to have this type
of research be conducted in a public forum, so by
all means just take it as my 2 cents and in the end
go with the approach you feel is best.

That's what I always do, so I definitely understand
when others do it as well :-)

Good luck!

Cheers,
- Ole

Posted by Yeliz Eseryel <ye...@alum.syracuse.edu>.
Guys,

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hey Guys,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Ole, Yeliz, Qing,

On 4/25/07, Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Yeliz,
>
> Sounds interesting.
>
> I think this will be most useful
> to the Apache Directory group
> if the questions are asked
> through the mailing list.

These are not technical discussions and not central to our community's
operation so there is no need to enforce the use of the ML.  You need to
chill out with pushing that indiscriminately.  I appreciate your diligence
however to keep all technical discussions on the list however there's no
need to force these nice folks interested in analyzing us to keep their
interviews for a study public on the ML.  You're going to scare them off.

That way everyone gets a real time
> reflection of thoughts about this.

They may like to ask some private questions and that's fine.  You don't have
a right to constrain their choice of a medium.  There may be other human
expressions they look for besides those that can be conveyed via email.

I think your hypothesis is a good
> one and a natural one.
>
> When people work in teams it helps
> a great deal if everyone uses similar
> conventions and processes, so that when
> tasks need to be transitioned, they can
> be picked up by other team members
> with minimum required effort.
>
> I think the "Convention over Configuration"
> principle captures the idea nicely.

So I'll be glad to answer questions on the mailing list.

That's your personal medium of choice and this is fine but in no way are
Qing and Yeliz required to do that with everyone.  This is not critical to
what we do here day in and day out with the code or the community.

If there are questions that must be asked in a non-public
> forum, I'll be glad to answer those through regular email,
> but I would need detailed justification for why they
> need to be non-public.

Fine for you but  this is your personal choice and Qing and Yeliz should not
feel as though everyone requests this.

Alex

Re: [Request] A Interview Request from Syracuse University OSS Research Group

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yeliz,

Sounds interesting.