Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com> on 2011/11/23 10:14:58 UTC

James Website(s) and distribution management

Hi

What should be the way of deploy new documentation to the James website
and where should this actual deployment goto?
The website navigation has been defined as

http://james.apache.org/index.html
http://james.apache.org/server/index.html
http://james.apache.org/hupa/index.html
http://james.apache.org/protocols/index.html
http://james.apache.org/imap/index.html
http://james.apache.org/mailet/index.html
http://james.apache.org/mailbox/index.html
http://james.apache.org/mime4j/index.html
http://james.apache.org/jsieve/index.html
http://james.apache.org/jspf/index.html
http://james.apache.org/jdkim/index.html
http://james.apache.org/mpt/index.html
http://james.apache.org/postage/index.html

but the in the distributionManagement section of the project pom.xml's
(trunk) are different url's defined like e.g.

- people.apache.org/www/james.apache.org/server/3/
- people.apache.org/www/james.apache.org/protocols/trunk/
- others are matching the navigation structure

Can all be fix in the way that deploying the generated site via "mvn
site-deploy" is going into the actual navigation place?

A full update of the whole James website could be (wishfully) done then by

$ svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/current current-james
$ cd current-james
$ mvn clean site-deploy

wdot?

Regards
Felix

Re: James Website(s) and distribution management

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
2011/11/24 Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com>:
> On 11/24/2011 01:42 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
>>
>> Pe 23.11.2011 11:14, Felix Knecht a scris:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> What should be the way of deploy new documentation to the James website
>>> and where should this actual deployment goto?
>>> The website navigation has been defined as
>
> <snip />
>
>>> but the in the distributionManagement section of the project pom.xml's
>>> (trunk) are different url's defined like e.g.
>>>
>>> - people.apache.org/www/james.apache.org/server/3/
>>> - people.apache.org/www/james.apache.org/protocols/trunk/
>>> - others are matching the navigation structure
>>>
>>> Can all be fix in the way that deploying the generated site via "mvn
>>> site-deploy" is going into the actual navigation place?
>>>
>>> A full update of the whole James website could be (wishfully) done
>>> then by
>>>
>>> $ svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/current current-james
>>> $ cd current-james
>>> $ mvn clean site-deploy
>>>
>>> wdot?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Felix

>> To answer Felix's question: I don't know, but something should be
>> possible.
>>
>> I discussed the website state with Eric when we met at ApacheCon and
>> agreed that we can do better, but I'm still a noob regarding how things
>> are organized. I think there is room for improvement and we can make the
>> site more user-friendly.
>>
>> One thing that I noticed is that we have no consistency in and the
>> website is kind of crowded. Maybe we can switch to something template
>> based?
>
> Do you have already something in mind?
> When thinking about a redesign of the whole site it should also be discussed
> if we want to stay the way it is done now having the documentation content
> in in each project on it's own, create a documentation project and merge all
> documention into ( both maven generated documentation using xdoc and apt,
> deploy to p.a.o) or e.g. to switch to the ASF Content Management System
> (http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html)
>
> Regards
> Felix

No I don't have anything in mind and I didn't know about ASF CMS, I
will check it out. The website redesign will need some work and I
don't think someone is available for that (I personally don't have the
time right now). I mentioned it because it was brought up.

So many things that I wish to do, so little time :).

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/

Re: James Website(s) and distribution management

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com>.

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Oh, I missed the move of

http://james.apache.org/server/index.html

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/project/branches/server_docs_3-alpha_and_2.2.0/

To further map the people.apache.org folder structure to the maven
structure, we could integrate the server index.html (now in branche) to
the server documentation. After all, it's part of it.

WDYT?

Eric

Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Re: James Website(s) and distribution management

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi,

.../server/3/ is there because we also have .../server/2/

We have in .../server some files that are deployed from the
'project/server' maven module.

.../protocols/trunk should be simply .../protocols.

To deploy everything with 'mvn clean site-deploy', we would need to
review a bit the maven project and there associated folder structure on
people.apache.org. For example, putting the .../server/2 in
.../archive/server/2, merging the 'project/server' maven module with the
'server' maven module, and finally moving .../server/3 to .../server.

Thx,

Eric

On 23/11/11 10:14, Felix Knecht wrote:
> Hi
>
> What should be the way of deploy new documentation to the James website
> and where should this actual deployment goto?
> The website navigation has been defined as
>
> http://james.apache.org/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/server/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/hupa/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/protocols/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/imap/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/mailet/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/mailbox/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/mime4j/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/jsieve/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/jspf/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/jdkim/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/mpt/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/postage/index.html
>
> but the in the distributionManagement section of the project pom.xml's
> (trunk) are different url's defined like e.g.
>
> - people.apache.org/www/james.apache.org/server/3/
> - people.apache.org/www/james.apache.org/protocols/trunk/
> - others are matching the navigation structure
>
> Can all be fix in the way that deploying the generated site via "mvn
> site-deploy" is going into the actual navigation place?
>
> A full update of the whole James website could be (wishfully) done then by
>
> $ svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/current current-james
> $ cd current-james
> $ mvn clean site-deploy
>
> wdot?