Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Michael Young <mh...@hotmail.com> on 2001/03/23 18:43:07 UTC

building, Xalan-C, on, Solaris, with, GCC, -, HELP, PLEASE!

I've been able to successfully build libxalan-cx_x.so on Solaris 2.7 with
GCC. However I am running into a slight problem with dynamic linkage. For
some reason when I run "ldd libxalan-cx_x" I find that libxalan is dependent
on libstdc++.so.2.8.1.1. Does anyone know how to build the libxalan shared
object so that it's not dependent on a particular version of a C++ library?
I'm not sure whether it's the Xalan build or the GNU linker that controls
which particular libstdc++ library libxalan is dependent on. I'd be happy if
someone could point me in the right direction.

Michael Young

Re: building, Xalan-C, on, Solaris, with, GCC, -, HELP, PLEASE!

Posted by Christian Aberger <Ch...@aon.at>.
Hi,

I am not a solaris expert, it is long ago that I used it. Hm I like thinking of
these times, it was so easy to make software, all the tools and the operating
system behaved as documented and as expected. I remember that even at this time
the C++ compiler we used was one of the best I got to know ever. I cannot really
believe that you can't use it, I am sure it conforms to Ansi C++ and stl with
every bit.

Ok, you have to use gmake for bulding xalan, I know. But are you sure you need
also gcc and not the sun compiler?

C++ standard explicitly leaves it to a free decision to the compiler vendor
what the object files look like ("name mangelling" chapter). This means
that you cannot link a lib compiled with gcc to a lib compiled with sun $(CC).
Xalan exports C++ classes in its libraries (what I do not 100% understand why, I
am used to implement pure "C" interfaces and from them get access to a factory
objects that returns pure abstract interfaces for the exported objects, which
have then an implementation local to the dll, but OK, this is a design
decision). Have you tried to compile Xalan using gnu gmake and the sun
compiler, not gcc? I remember the sun compiler's powerful options of handling
templates in the template DB etc, all things that are superior to gcc and
Micro$oft compilers imho.

 > I've been able to successfully build libxalan-cx_x.so on Solaris 2.7
with > GCC. However I am running into a slight problem with dynamic linkage. For
> some reason when I run "ldd libxalan-cx_x" I find that libxalan is dependent
> on libstdc++.so.2.8.1.1. Does anyone know how to build the libxalan shared
> object so that it's not dependent on a particular version of a C++ library?
> I'm not sure whether it's the Xalan build or the GNU linker that controls
> which particular libstdc++ library libxalan is dependent on. I'd be happy if
> someone could point me in the right direction.
>
> Michael Young
wfR ChrisA