Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Da...@inventivedesigners.com on 2005/02/25 14:34:38 UTC

Error while retrieving revisions

Hi,

I configured slide to use auto-versioning. I also set the scope of slide
to /files (web.xml).

This results in strange behaviour when requesting the revisions of a
resource: On line number 2 (in the response XML below) it is stated that
revision 1.1 of my resource can be found at location
/warehouse-repositoryry/1/1.1, but this should be
/warehouse-repository/history/1/1.1!! When I try to get the revision
resource, I get the expected 404 error...

When I use an empty string as scope (the default) I don't have this kind
of problems...
Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

David.

==== REPONSE

Content of one of the ResponseEntities in the enumeration returned by the
reportMethod of the WebdavResource class (webdav client):

01. <D:response>&#10;
02.     <D:href>/warehouse-repositoryry/1/1.1</D:href>&#10;
03.     <D:propstat>&#10;
04.             <D:prop>&#10
05.                     <D:version-name>1.1</D:version-name>&#10;
06.                     <D:owner>&#10;
07. <D:href>/warehouse-repository/users/david</D:href>&#10;
08.                     </D:owner>&#10;
09.             </D:prop>&#10;
10.             <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>&#10;
11.     </D:propstat>&#10;
12. </D:response>

In the server the following message appears:

2/24/05 11:26:28 AM CET [PoolThread-14] [INFO] HTTP PROPFIND - Uri:
/warehouse-repositoryry/1/1.2 - From: 127.0.0.1 - Proxy for:  - Time:
2/24/05 11:26 AM - User:  - Response Code: 404

Best practice for setting scope

Posted by Da...@inventivedesigners.com.
Hi,

Anybody any idea on this issue??
I really want to know your opinions!

Thanks!

David

> I also have a question about the use of the scope.
> First I will shortly describe what I want to do:
> We're integrating Slide in our java-swing-based client of our software.
> Now it is possible to browse the local filesystem and the webdav server
> (Slide). When browsing the webdav server, we would like to see the
> revisions of a resource. We also want to change the ACL from our
> java-swing-based client.
> At server side we would like to hide the users, roles, history, etc.
> folders by setting the scope to /files. Why? For most of the users those

> folders don't have any added value, so why should we show those folders?

> It will only confuse them.
>
> Context: Suppose we're connecting to the resource at URI
> http://server:254/warehouse-repository/test.txt and we want to know
which
> revisions are present. So we issue a REPORT request and we get hrefs
> /history/1/1.1, /history/1/1.2,etc. IMHO it is not possible to access
> those resources via the client, since the scope is set to /files. For
> retrieving all users and roles you have the same problem.
>
> Questions:
> * Now I was wondering how you can hide the history, users, roles, etc.
> information from the users to see, but still be able to get all users,
> roles and revisions?
> * Is it common pratice to hide that information or am I the only one who

> wants to do this?
> * Do I have to solve this problem in the client?
> * What's the best practice in my situation (in there is any)?
>
> I know I can set the starting point of the client to
> http://server:254/warehouse-repository/files/, but the user is capable
of
> typing the URI himself, so he could type
> http://server:254/warehouse-repository/.

Re: Error while retrieving revisions + Best practice question

Posted by Da...@inventivedesigners.com.
Hi,

> This results in strange behaviour when requesting the revisions of a
> resource: On line number 2 (in the response XML below) it is stated that

> revision 1.1 of my resource can be found at location
> /warehouse-repositoryry/1/1.1, but this should be
> /warehouse-repository/history/1/1.1!! When I try to get the revision
> resource, I get the expected 404 error.

I found the reason for this strange behaviour and is already fixed in CVS:
URL of the commit that should do the trick: Fix for bug 33068 from John
Rousseau of class WebdavUtils:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-slide/src/webdav/server/org/apache/slide/webdav/util/WebdavUtils.java