Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/05/16 08:02:24 UTC

NOTICE required for JcrUtils from Jackrabbit 2.4.0?

Hi,

In reviewing an RC for Apache Commons VFS 2.1

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Zjouqd6cpmohrj3

we wondered about a file

https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs/blob/trunk/core/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/provider/webdav/test/JcrUtils.java

which we have adapted from Jackrabbit 2.4.0.

Jackrabbit has a NOTICE which includes

> Based on source code originally developed by
> Day Software (http://www.day.com/).

Looking at the git history

https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/commits/trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-commons/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/commons/JcrUtils.java

I think this file was earliest added in JackRabbit in 2009 by Jukka Zitting:

https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/commit/0882a5cc1ed4ce1cf9d3c6b3a592f97c5772ce25

(first released in 1.6.0 and 2.0-alpha1 )

Is this correct, or was this file based on earlier code?

As Jackrabbit graduated from the Incubator in 2006, am I right to
assume then that JcrUtils.java is NOT covered by the earlier "Day
Software" Software Grant and corresponding NOTICE attribution?

That is, is Apache Commons free to not propagate your NOTICE for using JcrUtils?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: NOTICE required for JcrUtils from Jackrabbit 2.4.0?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Your assumption is correct.

The NOTICE entry refers to code from the original Day Software grant that
accompanied Jackrabbit's entry to the Incubator (
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JcrProposal).

The JcrUtils class was contributed under normal CLA and thus doesn't need
extra NOTICE entries.

Best,

Jukka Zitting

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 19 May 2016 at 11:50, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

>> As Jackrabbit graduated from the Incubator in 2006, am I right to
>> assume then that JcrUtils.java is NOT covered by the earlier "Day
>> Software" Software Grant and corresponding NOTICE attribution?
>> That is, is Apache Commons free to not propagate your NOTICE for using
>> JcrUtils?
> Does Jackrabbit contain a NOTICE for JcrUtils? If not, I don't think we
> need one.

It is just a general NOTICE:

https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/blob/trunk/NOTICE.txt

> Apache Jackrabbit
> Copyright 2014 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> This product includes software developed at
> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
> Based on source code originally developed by
> Day Software (http://www.day.com/).

Which doesn't say if the "Day Software" bit applies to JcrUtils or not.

For VFS 2.1 we have assumed it does NOT apply, due to the SVN history
dating it 3 years after import of the Day Software code, but that is
an interpretation I would leave open for Jackrabbit PMC to correct us
in case we are wrong. The ASF license allow us to make that kind of
interpretation, as we have used the SVN history for figuring out
"excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the
Derivative Works".

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> schrieb am Mo., 16. Mai 2016 um
10:02 Uhr:

> Hi,
>
> In reviewing an RC for Apache Commons VFS 2.1
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Zjouqd6cpmohrj3
>
> we wondered about a file
>

> https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs/blob/trunk/core/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/provider/webdav/test/JcrUtils.java
>
> which we have adapted from Jackrabbit 2.4.0.
>
> Jackrabbit has a NOTICE which includes
>
> > Based on source code originally developed by
> > Day Software (http://www.day.com/).
>

> Looking at the git history
>

> https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/commits/trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-commons/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/commons/JcrUtils.java
>
> I think this file was earliest added in JackRabbit in 2009 by Jukka
> Zitting:
>

> https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/commit/0882a5cc1ed4ce1cf9d3c6b3a592f97c5772ce25
>
> (first released in 1.6.0 and 2.0-alpha1 )
>
> Is this correct, or was this file based on earlier code?
>

> As Jackrabbit graduated from the Incubator in 2006, am I right to
> assume then that JcrUtils.java is NOT covered by the earlier "Day
> Software" Software Grant and corresponding NOTICE attribution?
>
> That is, is Apache Commons free to not propagate your NOTICE for using
> JcrUtils?

Does Jackrabbit contain a NOTICE for JcrUtils? If not, I don't think we
need one.

Benedikt

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 16 May 2016 at 10:02, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> As Jackrabbit graduated from the Incubator in 2006, am I right to
> assume then that JcrUtils.java is NOT covered by the earlier "Day
> Software" Software Grant and corresponding NOTICE attribution?
>
> That is, is Apache Commons free to not propagate your NOTICE for using JcrUtils?

For Commons VFS 2.1 we have assumed the above interpretation of the
Jackrabbit NOTICE and SVN history, and NOT included a Day Software
attribution:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-611

We would appreciate your feedback in case we are wrong :-)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Commons, Apache Taverna (incubating), Apache Commons RDF (incubating)