Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Hewitt <ma...@uk.lawson.com> on 2007/02/12 10:36:22 UTC

Changing server hostname

Simple question... Probably not so simple answer...

If the Subversion server is changed, in particular, I'm thinking of its
hostname, is there any way to reconnect working copies that are associated

with the server's previous name?
I am presuming that the repository is brought back up at the same version
on the new server.

As a supplementary question, if the repository is out of date - lets say
the backup was regular enough and was recovered, is there any way to
re-synchonise the working copies in that case too?

This is not a panic, but some situations I'd like to feel comfortable that

we can handle.

Mark J Hewitt
Principal Software Architect
_____________________________
Lawson Software
4 The Boulevard
City West One Office Park
Gelderd Road
Leeds
LS12 6NY
United Kingdom

Work:+(44) (0)113 231 0853 ext: 5139
Fax:   +(44) (0)113 279 9789
http://www.lawson.com

-------------------- Internet e-Mail Disclaimer --------------------
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any
use, disclosure, copying or distribution of the information is prohibited.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
by reply e-mail. The views expressed in this e-mail and any attachments
are personal and, unless stated explicitly, do not represent the views of
Lawson Software.

RE: Re: Changing server hostname

Posted by Méresse Christophe <ch...@nagra.com>.

Yes. But, mind the fact that if you have some svn:externals, the will not be changed.
An other way is to use an alias for your server. This is probably the best way to do, use a different alias for each service. Like this you can always move/split your services on any server.

Regards
Christophe

Re: Changing server hostname

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 2/12/2007 5:36 AM, Mark Hewitt wrote:
> Simple question... Probably not so simple answer...
>
> If the Subversion server is changed, in particular, I'm thinking of its
> hostname, is there any way to reconnect working copies that are associated
>
> with the server's previous name?

svn switch --relocate

> I am presuming that the repository is brought back up at the same version
> on the new server.
>
> As a supplementary question, if the repository is out of date - lets say
> the backup was regular enough and was recovered, is there any way to
> re-synchonise the working copies in that case too?

I don't know, but I would assume this is hard.  Someone may have written
a script, but if not, you may need a lot of manual work to find the last
mod date of every file in the working copy, and check in changes that
are later than the recovered repository.

In a case like this it can be very helpful to have sent post-commit
emails.  You can then check out whatever version of the repository you
managed to recover, and use patch to reapply and recommit all the
missing changes.  I have done that in the past in a case where the
repository backup was missing the last few commits.  You may also get
some peace of mind by mirroring the repository somewhere else using the
new facility for that, or using svk.

Duncan Murdoch

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 12, 2007, at 04:36, Mark Hewitt wrote:

> As a supplementary question, if the repository is out of date -
> lets say
> the backup was regular enough and was recovered, is there any way to
> re-synchonise the working copies in that case too?

I assume you mean "the backup was NOT regular enough". In this case,
anyone who has a newer working copy than the repository must get a
new working copy, and must not attempt to check in ever again from
the old working copies, because this will confuse the server
mightily. Recreating those lost revisions is also likely to be fun.

For this reason, I would say that any backup strategy that does not
guarantee that you have every revision backed up from the moment
after they're created is inadequate. Put a line in your post-commit
hook that does an incremental dump of just that revision, to a new
file. Once a week (once a day?) you could do a more complete dump,
and clean up the now-unnecessary incrementals. In addition, you could
do an occasional hotcopy backup. You can never have too many
different kinds of backups.