Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Russell Bolles <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID> on 2017/08/22 21:49:38 UTC

RandomStringUtils and RandomStringGenerator

Good afternoon,

I recently happened to pick up commons-lang:3.6 and noticed that
RandomStringUtils was deprecated in favor of
commons-text:RandomStringGenerator.

I work on a moderately sized Java service and a quick find usages in
IntelliJ shows that I have 452 usages of RandomStringUtils, mostly in my
tests.

Was there any discussion of moving the RandomStringUtils class to
commons-text and preserving the API as it stands now? What benefits do we
get when throwing out the RandomStringUtils class altogether in favor a of
a fluent builder (i.e. RandomStringGenerator).

I can't emphasize enough how useful it is to be able to create a random
string via a static method especially when writing unit tests.

Thank you for your time.

--
Russell Bolles

Re: Fwd: RandomStringUtils and RandomStringGenerator

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 01:09:14 +0530, Amey Jadiye wrote:
> I think we should keep that deprecated in lang and go with plan
> discussed
> in below mail trail.
>
> http://markmail.org/message/azxw4nai7fs2laas

Sorry, I saw the issue as "resolved" (so that the "plan"
had changed).  Please reopen the JIRA issue if that's not
the case.
Maybe, you should also ask the OP to subscribe to this ML,
and to comment on the plan...

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
I'm ok with quick fix to un-deprecate it in lang but 2nd option seems good
for long term. Its on my to-do list ,  I will see if I can do something on
that.

Regards,
Amey

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.