Posted to user@spark.apache.org by smagadi <su...@fico.com> on 2015/08/21 09:59:43 UTC

SPARK sql :Need JSON back isntead of roq

val teenagers = sqlContext.sql("SELECT name FROM people WHERE age >= 13 AND
age <= 19")

I need teenagers to be a JSON object rather a simple row .How can we get
that done ?

Re:SPARK sql :Need JSON back isntead of roq

Posted by Todd <bi...@163.com>.
please try DataFrame.toJSON, it will give you an RDD of JSON string.

Posted by Roberto Congiu <ro...@gmail.com>.

> teenagers .toJSON gives the json but it does not preserve the parent ids
>
> meaning if the input was {"name":"Yin",
> "address":{"city":"Columbus","state":"Ohio"},"age":20}
>
> val x= sqlContext.sql("SELECT name, address.city, address.state ,age FROM
> people where age>19 and age <=30 ").toJSON
>
>  x.collect().foreach(println)
>
> This returns back , missing address.
> {"name":"Yin","city":"Columbus","state":"Ohio","age":20}
> Is this a bug ?

You're not including it in the query, so of course it's not there.
Try

sqlContext.sql("Select * from ppl").toJSON.collect().foreach(println)

instead.
I get

{"address":{"city":"Columbus","state":"Ohio"},"name":"Yin"}

R.

Re: SPARK sql :Need JSON back isntead of roq