Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeremy Fairbrass <jf...@hotmail.com> on 2007/07/03 17:16:35 UTC

bayes_ignore_header for X-Spam values

Hi all,
Can someone please advise me: is it good or bad to add "bayes_ignore_header" values in my local.cf file for the X-Spam headers that
are added by SA? For example:

bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Status
bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Level
bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Checker-Version
bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Report
bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Processed

I've seen some installations that do have these values, but I'm not sure why - I'd have thought it was good for Bayes to be able to
learn from those headers. What would happen if I would *not* ignore those headers and let Bayes learn from them?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: bayes_ignore_header for X-Spam values

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please advise me: is it good or bad to add "bayes_ignore_header" values in my local.cf file for the X-Spam headers that
> are added by SA?
It's pointless.. SA already removes it's own markings when learning
messages.

The only time you'd need to do something like this is if you're using a
tool that generates it's own headers that don't follow the normal
convention. ie: MailScanner.

>  For example:
>
> bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Status
> bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Level
> bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Checker-Version
> bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Report
> bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Processed
>
> I've seen some installations that do have these values, but I'm not sure why - I'd have thought it was good for Bayes to be able to
> learn from those headers. What would happen if I would *not* ignore those headers and let Bayes learn from them?

Absolutely nothing, because SA will not learn from them.