Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Phil Endecott <sp...@chezphil.org> on 2005/11/29 22:39:54 UTC

List admin suggestions (Was Re: Diff and Merge on office document such as .doc and .xls)

Flapflap wrote:
> P.S. Does everybody have the mail in 3 ? Ok I got 2 because of the
> reply-all, but 3 ??

Yes, whenever I post to this list I end up with 3 copies: one that I
Bcc'ed to myself, a regular one from the list, and a mysterious extra
one.  I've looked for a list admin address on the web site but I can't
see anything obvious at
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList.  If the
right person is reading this, can I suggest a few improvements?

- Prefix subject lines with the list name.
- Don't send the "extra copies" that at least two of us seem to be
seeing at the moment.
- Make a daily-digest possible.  (My guess is that there is a way to do
this, but it's not described on the mailing list web page.)

Many thanks,

--Phil.

Re: List admin suggestions (Was Re: Diff and Merge on office document such as .doc and .xls)

Posted by Mark Sargent <po...@snow.email.ne.jp>.
Hi All,

new here. Just thought I'd add, that I'm not getting duplicated mails
for this list. Using Thunderbird/CentOS, FWIW. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

P.S. Sure it won't be long b4 I'm also asking questions in here, though.

Re: List admin suggestions [Attention sdusers@softwaredesign.it!]

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 30, 2005, at 13:28, Phil Endecott wrote:

>>> - Don't send the "extra copies" that at least two of us seem to be
>>> seeing at the moment.
>
> OK, here's an analysis.  The message that Ryan sent earlier was To:
> me and Cc: the list.  I got 3 copies; one was a normal-looking one
> from Ryan's ISP (hostpoint.ch?) to me, the second was a normal-
> looking list post, and the third had these headers:
> [...]
> This looks to me as if sdusers@softwaredesign.it is a subscriber to
> the list, and part of their mail system ("Microsoft Connector for
> POP3 Mailboxes") is seeing the "To: Phil Endecott" header in the
> incoming message and acting on it, sending me a copy of the
> message.  This is clearly wrong, but you can understand it in the
> context of something reading a POP3 mailbox; if you're ever seen
> the section of the fetchmail man page describing multi-drop
> mailboxes you'll know that there are issues with this sort of thing.

I've heard of open relays but hadn't heard of spontaneous relays! :-)

> So: sdusers@softwaredesign.it, is this a correct analysis?  Can you
> do something about it?

I have to agree with the analysis. (Why didn't I come up with that?)
I was also just about to report that, when people CC me, that's when
I get three copies instead of the two I'd expect.

I've also received messages like these when replying to posts on the
list:

Posted by Phil Endecott <sp...@chezphil.org>.

Cc: List Subversion <us...@subversion.tigris.org>
From: Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:44:35 +0100
To: Phil Endecott <sp...@chezphil.org>
Subject:  Re: List admin suggestions (Was Re: Diff and Merge on office document
such as .doc and .xls)

This looks to me as if sdusers@softwaredesign.it is a subscriber to the list, and part of their mail system ("Microsoft Connector for POP3 Mailboxes") is seeing the "To: Phil Endecott" header in the incoming message and acting on it, sending me a copy of the message.  This is clearly wrong, but you can understand it in the context of something reading a POP3 mailbox; if you're ever seen the section of the fetchmail man page describing multi-drop mailboxes you'll know that there are issues with this sort of thing.

So: sdusers@softwaredesign.it, is this a correct analysis?  Can you do something about it?

Cheers,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 29, 2005, at 23:39, Phil Endecott wrote:

> Flapflap wrote:
>
>> P.S. Does everybody have the mail in 3 ? Ok I got 2 because of the
>> reply-all, but 3 ??
>
> Yes, whenever I post to this list I end up with 3 copies: one that
> I Bcc'ed to myself, a regular one from the list, and a mysterious
> extra one.  I've looked for a list admin address on the web site
> but I can't see anything obvious at http://subversion.tigris.org/
> servlets/ProjectMailingListList.  If the right person is reading
> this, can I suggest a few improvements?
>
> - Prefix subject lines with the list name.

That's been brought up many times before, but I've never heard any
good arguments for doing that. All it does is reduce the horizontal
space available in my email client's subject column for the actual
message subject, which I want to see. I don't need to be told again
that it's for the Subversion list, because I already know that,
because my email client already sorts these messages into my
Subversion Mailing List folder. (Good email clients' sorting rules
certainly works on headers other than Subject; for example I use the
Delivered-To header.)

> - Don't send the "extra copies" that at least two of us seem to be
> seeing at the moment.

"Me too." I'm getting many mails duplicated too. I was also
unexpectedly unsubscribed from the list recently and had to
resubscribe myself. The duplicates have been frequent since then, but
I definitely also got them before that, so it's not like I'm now
subscribed twice or anything.