Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@fastmail.fm> on 2007/12/16 00:30:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.1-incubating

sebb wrote:
> On 15/12/2007, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>> sebb wrote:
>>

>>> The NOTICE file in uimaj-2.2.1-incubating-bin.zip refers to the
>>> contributions from IBM:
>>>
>>> "Software Grant License Agreement", informally known as the
>>> "IBM UIMA License Agreement".
>>>
>>> however, that license is not in LICENSE, nor is it linked from there.
>>>
>> this wording was approved in their first release -- iirc there were
>> discussions about what specifically to put there [1] and I had a minor
>> hand in that since they had borrowed wording from derby [2].
>>
> I'm not objecting to the wording in the NOTICE file.
> However, since it refers to another license, I think that needs to be
> present in the LICENSE file:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distributing-code-under-several-licenses

The software grant license agreement to which it refers is this :

http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt

I assumed that when outside entities file software grants they always
use the software-grant.txt form (or CCLA addendum B in
cla-corporate.txt),  but I'm probably wrong about that.

For this release, I don't think anything needs to be done. Perhaps a
broader issue is how apache projects as a whole should reference the
code drops that come in via a software grant -- or if it's even
necessary to do so since the original copyright is in the NOTICE file.
Perhaps that's sufficient?

 -jean

>>  -jean
>>
>> [1] http://tinyurl.com/2jncrq
>> [2] http://tinyurl.com/3bdz9n
>>

>>> There are some problems with the MD5 and SHA1 files.
>>>
>>> For example, uimaj-2.2.1-incubating-bin.tar.bz2.md5:

>>> uimaj-2.2.1-incubating-bin.tar.bz2: 53 20 6A FB 75 1F 07 9D  BB 12 82 58 D0 7D
>>>                                     CA 4B
>>>
>>> The hash is spread over two lines and into hex pairs. The normal
>>> format is either:
>>> 53206afb751f079dbb128258d07dca4b
>>> or