Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Suncatcher16 <su...@outlook.com> on 2017/04/26 05:11:16 UTC

Confusing things about GUACAMOLE_HOME

Reading the  documentation
<http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#guacamole-home>
I noticed one funny thing:

Passage 1:
*When locating this directory, Guacamole will try the directory specified
within the system property guacamole.home*

Passage 2:
*Guacamole uses GUACAMOLE_HOME as the primary search location for
configuration file like guacamole.properties.*

GUACAMOLE_HOME defines guacamole.properties and guacamole.home property
within guacamole.properties defines GUACAMOLE_HOME. Some type of recursion
here!
Which comes first the chicken or the egg? :)

Re: Confusing things about GUACAMOLE_HOME

Posted by Suncatcher16 <su...@outlook.com>.
Sorry, being too agitated after two days of configuring Guacamole :)

Mike Jumper wrote
> Does your distro provide any of their own documentation for their Tomcat
> package?
> - Mike

Nope, nothing. I'm installing it on AWS Amazon Linux.
I doubt that configuration of RPM systems Tomcat (CentOS, Fedora, RHEL)
differs from Debian-based Tomcat. In the  official manual
<https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/>   they have no mention
about setenv, only catalina.properties are mentioned. However, it exists
here <https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/RUNNING.txt>  . It's weird.

Re: Confusing things about GUACAMOLE_HOME

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Apr 26, 2017 10:51 PM, "Suncatcher16" <su...@outlook.com> wrote:

... Crappy Tomcat

Let's not stoop to name-calling, please.

https://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips#respect

The only solution for setting env vars that works is  tomcat8.conf
<http://stackoverflow.com/a/29220533/911419>  .
Just for the info of the guys who will face this problem in future.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure whether tomcat8.conf is a standard part
of Tomcat itself or something specific to your distribution's repackaging
of Tomcat, though. The stackoverflow post mentions a lack of catalina.sh,
but I do still see that in the Tomcat .tar.gz releases.

Posted by Suncatcher16 <su...@outlook.com>.
NONE of these solutions work, including the setenv.sh. Crappy Tomcat changes
its conf structures with every release, and enormous piece of the info info
in the Web is outdated.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Apr 26, 2017 10:37 AM, "Suncatcher16" <su...@outlook.com> wrote:

Can anybody properly explain how to set GUACAMOLE_HOME?

First, keep in mind you don't actually *need* to do this. "GUACAMOLE_HOME"
is not something that is required to be set. It is the placeholder name
used to refer to Guacamole's config directory, and the environment variable
overriding the default location has the same name. It's not like JAVA_HOME
and similar where things break if it's unset.

The easiest route by far is to just use the standard, default location: the
".guacamole" directory in the home directory of the service user running
Tomcat.

You only need to set GUACAMOLE_HOME or guacamole.home if you wish to
override the default location, and that is very rarely necessary. Even in
such cases, it may be easier just to make a symbolic link at the default
location pointing to wherever you prefer.

I tried almost everything without any result.
I tried setting variables in:
1. /etc/environment
2. /etc/profile
3. ~/.bashrc
4. /etc/bashrc

Tomcat will ignore absolutely all of the above, so its startup scripts
create an empty environment on startup. The files above only affect the
environment given to users.

5. creates setenv.sh in CATALINA_HOME/bin

This is the only correct way to set an environment variable for Tomcat, and
should be working.

- Mike

RES: Confusing things about GUACAMOLE_HOME

Posted by Thiago dos Santos Nunes <th...@DIGITALINFORMATICA.COM.BR>.
Use this guide, is very good.

https://www.chasewright.com/guacamole-with-mysql-on-ubuntu/

Fique com DEUS.

Aude et Effice!

Enviada em: quarta-feira, 26 de abril de 2017 14:26
Para: user@guacamole.incubator.apache.org
Assunto: Re: Confusing things about GUACAMOLE_HOME

Can anybody properly explain how to set GUACAMOLE_HOME?
I tried almost everything without any result.
I tried setting variables in:
1. /etc/environment
2. /etc/profile
3. ~/.bashrc
4. /etc/bashrc
5. creates setenv.sh in CATALINA_HOME/bin

But this odious Tomcat ignores them all.

Re: Confusing things about GUACAMOLE_HOME

Posted by Suncatcher16 <su...@outlook.com>.
I constantly get in Tomcat log

*No guacamole.properties file found within GUACAMOLE_HOME or the classpath.
Using
 defaults.*

So my auth options are not applied and I cannot login.

GUACAMOLE_HOME env variable *is* set to /etc/guacamole (it is showed
correctly by SET command). guacamole.properties file exists inside.
What am I doing wrong? Can it be permissions issue? Both /etc/guacamole and
properties file are created under root, maybe Tomcat read them via tomcat
user?

Re: Confusing things about GUACAMOLE_HOME

Posted by Suncatcher16 <su...@outlook.com>.
Now it's clear. Mea culpa!

Re: Confusing things about GUACAMOLE_HOME

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
The key phrase in the manual here is "system property". This is not a
property set in guacamole.properties (that would indeed be nuts), but a
very specific Java concept.

System properties are the things that you set through passing -D options to
the JVM.

The properties you set within guacamole.properties aren't system
properties. They're just general configuration options read by Guacamole
and any installed extensions.

- Mike

On Apr 25, 2017 22:22, "Suncatcher16" <su...@outlook.com> wrote:

Reading the  documentation
<http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#
guacamole-home>
I noticed one funny thing:

Passage 1:
*When locating this directory, Guacamole will try the directory specified
within the system property guacamole.home*

Passage 2:
*Guacamole uses GUACAMOLE_HOME as the primary search location for
configuration file like guacamole.properties.*

GUACAMOLE_HOME defines guacamole.properties and guacamole.home property
within guacamole.properties defines GUACAMOLE_HOME. Some type of recursion
here!
Which comes first the chicken or the egg? :)

Nabble.com.