Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2012/10/01 01:35:35 UTC

Re: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

I find this question a bit odd.

If you change the name of the license it will no longer be the Apache license but something else.  No one here is going to care that you copied most of the Apache license to create your new license, so long as there is no confusion between the two.  What more do you really need to know?

Ralph

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Eric McDonald wrote:
>> Many members of the public might make the assumption of a
>> copyright upon seeing some of the examples cited in this thread
>> (your own licenses among them).
>
> Eric, I agree with you.
>
> I wrote my original email in response to Shane's response on this list that
> he "naively assumed that the AL ... is available under the current AL 2.0
> license." I disagreed with that as a legal conclusion. I asked also for
> "other opinions on this topic." I then proposed actual wording for a FAQ
> that would answer questions such as yours, all in my original email.

Can you point me to your original email?  I do think that the
recommendation that you made in the following email was one that I
could support:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201210.mbox/%3C038d01cd9f43%245d822d50%24188687f0%24%40rosenlaw.com%3E

In that email, I do see a request for "other opinions on this topic".
What I don't see is "actual wording for a FAQ".

- Sam Ruby

RE: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Eric McDonald wrote:
> Many members of the public might make the assumption of a
> copyright upon seeing some of the examples cited in this thread
> (your own licenses among them).

Eric, I agree with you.

I wrote my original email in response to Shane's response on this list that
he "naively assumed that the AL ... is available under the current AL 2.0
license." I disagreed with that as a legal conclusion. I asked also for
"other opinions on this topic." I then proposed actual wording for a FAQ
that would answer questions such as yours, all in my original email.

I then responded with a second email, making my original point stronger,
because people were persisting in proposing an possibly invalid answer.

I intended no offense, regardless of whether you are soothing your
conscience or covering your posterior. What I did intend was to offer a way
to finesse your original question without giving incorrect advice. I believe
it is wrong to assume that licenses can actually have an effective
copyrighted that would limit anyone's ability to create a similar but
different license. But I'm still open to comments on that legal point if
anyone cares to respond.

/Larry

Posted by Eric McDonald <th...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/2012 9:52 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> If, however, you want to soothe the consciences of those who might want
> to repackage the Apache License with their own nuances, a FAQ that says
> “it is OK to make derivative works of the Apache License” can serve that
> purpose. (That sentence, too, is purely functional and I claim no
> copyright on it!) As for me, I’d rather educate the public that
> copyright isn’t as automatic and encompassing as most people assume.

Many members of the public might make the assumption of a copyright upon
seeing some of the examples cited in this thread (your own licenses
among them). If someone sees a license written by someone who is known

Posted by Eric McDonald <th...@gmail.com>.
On 10/3/2012 6:38 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> So it seems the answer to our question is somewhere in state or
>
>> federal law, which I have no idea how to navigate.

Noah, I'm glad to see you were looking at WIPO materials earlier. I
would certainly be more inclined to see if there is any
internationally-accepted convention for this, as the licenses are
distributed internationally.

> Or in case law. See, e.g., /Veeck v. Southern Building Code Congress
> International/, 293 F.3d 791 (5^th Cir., 2002) (cert. denied).
>  [http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/293/293.F3d.791.99-40632.html]
>
> This is one of my favorite cases. It put standards organizations on
> notice that they can’t own the law.

Interesting, Larry.... I just read the decision and part of the dissent.
Unfortunately, I don't see how it helps an argument that licenses are in
the public domain. They seem to be a separate class from either a
legislatively-adopted portion of a model code (the class around which
the case centered) or a standard (a class excluded from the case and one
that seems closely akin to a non-legislatively-adopted portion of a
model code). The decision specifically examined cases, where copyrighted
works were enacted into law, where the language of the law is treated as
a fact in the public domain and not the expression of a private
individual or organization.

To use this case, it seems that one would have to demonstrate an
isomorphism between a legal instrument (i.e., a license), created by an
individual or organization, and a law, enacted by a legislature working
for the public. Can such an isomorphism be shown? (I don't know if
"isomorphism" is used in legal discussion or not. I'm someone with a
mathematical background, among other things, trying to play lawyer for a
bit.... ;-)

Thanks for the interesting discussion. Sorry to have created such a ruckus.

Eric

RE: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Noah Slater wrote:

> So it seems the answer to our question is somewhere in state or

> federal law, which I have no idea how to navigate.

Or in case law. See, e.g., Veeck v. Southern Building Code Congress
International, 293 F.3d 791 (5th Cir., 2002) (cert. denied).
[http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/293/293.F3d.791.99-40632.html]

This is one of my favorite cases. It put standards organizations on notice
that they can't own the law.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com>
www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
'“Literary works” are works, other than audiovisual works, expressed in
words, numbers, or other verbal or numerical symbols or indicia, regardless
of the nature of the material objects, such as books, periodicals,
manuscripts, phonorecords, film, tapes, disks, or cards, in which they are
embodied.'

- http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html

That seems to cover a any sort of document, including a legal document.
There are no exceptions to this I can see, except to say that federal and
state works are not subject to copyright. (Or an aproximation thereof.)

I also found this:

"Legal documents such as briefs, contracts, and even cease-and-desist
letters written by private attorneys (but not by government lawyers) may be
protected by copyright like any other material "fixed in a tangible medium
of expression." However, greater fair use defenses may be available to
those who copy legal documents. For example, it may be uniquely necessary
to use the precise language of the document; the document may have little
"creative" input; and its copying may not impact the market for legal
services."

- http://www.chillingeffects.org/copyright/faq.cgi#QID757

I think unless we know for sure, it is safer to assume that copyright
applies here.

(Note there are no specific provisions for software I could find!)

--
NS

Re: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

--
NS

RE: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Noah Slater asked:

wrote:

> [...]

>> or mark of the ASF for my own use. (Supposing that I am allowed to
>> create a derivative license, I may need to attribute ASF in the license
>> text though.)
>>
>>> Didn't there used to be an example somewhere on the web that said "As
>>> long as you change the name, feel free to use or change"?  Or am I
>>> misremembering, or perhaps thinking of a long-ago private conversation?
>>
>> I would love to see that example. There was something in one of the FAQs
>> about doing that for software packages derived from software packages
>> maintained under ASF branding, but I didn't see anything pertaining
>> explicitly to ASF licenses.
>>
>>> These do raise good points about some of the legal details of the very
>>> few restrictions in the AL 2.0 - for someone who has the volunteer
>>> energy to pursue them.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the question and the commentary Eric.

NS

Re: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> It seems to me that we might want to grant explicit permission.

Agreed. And perhaps publicly.

--
NS

Re: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Looks like a good model for a similar FAQ entry on our own site.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Richard Fontana <rf...@redhat.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 05:35:21PM -0400, Benson Margulies wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>
> wrote:
> > > For reference, the GPL is copyright the FSF, and is distributed under
> the
> > > following terms:
> > >
> > > "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this
> > > license document, but changing it is not allowed."
> >
> > I can think of several examples of licenses that are clearly derived
> > works of the GPL.
>
> The FSF effectively grants a more permissive license to create
> derivative licenses based on the GPL text in its FAQ:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL
>
> - RF

NS

Re: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

Posted by Aahit <aa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Richard Fontana <rf...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 05:35:21PM -0400, Benson Margulies wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>
> wrote:
> > > For reference, the GPL is copyright the FSF, and is distributed under
> the
> > > following terms:
> > >
> > > "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this
> > > license document, but changing it is not allowed."
> >
> > I can think of several examples of licenses that are clearly derived
> > works of the GPL.
>
> The FSF effectively grants a more permissive license to create
> derivative licenses based on the GPL text in its FAQ:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL
>
> However, Such a modified license is almost certainly incompatible with the
GNU GPL, and that incompatibility blocks useful combinations of modules.
The mere proliferation of different free software licenses is a burden in
and of itself.

Posted by Richard Fontana <rf...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> For reference, the GPL is copyright the FSF, and is distributed under the
> following terms:
>
> "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this
> license document, but changing it is not allowed."

I can think of several examples of licenses that are clearly derived
works of the GPL. IANAL, but I don't quite see how this provision
could be enforced.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I've been tempted to assume the same. But, it would still be good to get
> >> a definitive statement to that effect. I personally don't have an issue
> >> with a little bit of recursion, but I don't know enough about law to
> >> know if there is any problem in licensing a license with itself.
> >> (Constitutions seem to empower themselves, but they're not licenses....)

> there
> >>
> >> Of course. There is certainly no intention on my part to co-opt any name
> >> or mark of the ASF for my own use. (Supposing that I am allowed to
> >> create a derivative license, I may need to attribute ASF in the license
> >> text though.)

> >> I would love to see that example. There was something in one of the FAQs
> >> about doing that for software packages derived from software packages
> >> maintained under ASF branding, but I didn't see anything pertaining

NS

Re: License under which the Apache License 2.0 is released?

Posted by Eric McDonald <th...@gmail.com>.