Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/08 03:43:44 UTC

After long-running GUI testing, AOO3.4 becomes slower and slower, and occupies more and more memory

Hi all,
This week I did some long-running GUI testing on AOO 3.4 using Java on
my iMac. After about 23 hours, the memory occupied by soffice changed
from 90MB to 600MB. And soffice became very slow.
My scenario is
1. Create new Text Document/Spreadsheet/Presentation/Drawing.
2. Input some simple text in it.
3. Save and then reopen it.
4. Repeat the above steps.
I think AOO has memory leak issue. Did we perform this kind of testing before?
--
Best Regards

Re: After long-running GUI testing, AOO3.4 becomes slower and slower, and occupies more and more memory

Posted by Xia Zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
Agree, maybe we can create memory leak improvement related features in next
major release.

--
Best Regards,

Lily

"If you are not part of solution,you are part of problem"

Re: After long-running GUI testing, AOO3.4 becomes slower and slower, and occupies more and more memory

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chao Huang <ch...@gmail.com>.
I'm interesting in such kind of memory leak issue. I will try to identify
the problem case by case

--
Best regards,
Chao Huang

Re: After long-running GUI testing, AOO3.4 becomes slower and slower, and occupies more and more memory

Posted by zhangjf <zh...@apache.org>.
I don't think this is the only case to show all possible memory leaks.
Here we'd better have a base line of leaked memory number with a set
of files, a set of common use cases and a fixed loop count. By
comparing with that base line we can see the progress in that area in
the future.

zhangjf

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 08.06.2012 09:36, Zhe Liu wrote:
> Is there some tools to track memory allocation? I can combine it with
> GUI testing. So we can gather the detail clue.

For your case maybe using Rational Purify could be an interesting
option. I personally love valgrind+memcheck too.

Herbert

Re: After long-running GUI testing, AOO3.4 becomes slower and slower, and occupies more and more memory

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards

Posted by zhangjf <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards

Posted by Xia Zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
Zhe,

Posted by zhangjf <zh...@apache.org>.
I have noticed that AOO 3.4 still have serious memory leaks in some
cases and will begin to do some studies.  But I don't know if AOO/OOo
had suck kinds of test before.

zhangjf