Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com> on 2015/12/06 09:54:02 UTC

[DISCUSS] Committer == PPMC for Sentry?

Hi,
This is breaking off a separate discussion for the thread Sravya started
[1].  Specifically, the part around whether Sentry should move from a model
where Committer != PPMC to a model where Committer == PPMC.

Background:
It's been two years since the Sentry project entered incubation and over
that time we have welcomed many new community members, as committers
and contributors. However, we have not added any new PPMC members over the
same time period. This is concerning because building a successful
community means growing committers as well as growing the PPMC.
At the same time, we have strived to be a very open community, and involve
everyone (not just PPMC members) in project decisions.  As Arvind mentioned
[2], there have been few instances, outside of committership/board reports,
where the PPMC made decisions outside of the dev list.

Given that we have a) in some ways implicitly been acting in a Committer ==
PPMC model already and b) have many new folks in the community from when
the project started, I think we should revisit this topic.

I want to hear everyone's thoughts on whether you think we should go with
Committer == PPMC model for Sentry? Logistically, this would mean all
existing committers would become PPMC members and there would be no
distinction between committer and PPMC member moving forward.

Feel free to also chime in if you disagree with my assessment above.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/sentry-dev/201511.mbox/%3CCACMN7iwY1FXCN6iGTJAN28MC4v%3DFUpKAzvdqVRNq9%3DK7YcomtQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/sentry-dev/201511.mbox/%3CCAHUddLMOeq7q4XFpy6VcCcmetUjt5iazf1fNmXv15EXJrypTWg%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Thanks,
Lenni

Re: [DISCUSS] Committer == PPMC for Sentry?

Posted by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks everyone. It seems like this has generally positive support so I
will start a VOTE thread around making this official.

Thanks,
Lenni

Posted by "Sun, Dapeng" <da...@intel.com>.
+1 for "Committer == PPMC".

Posted by Hao Hao <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Ma, Junjie" <ju...@intel.com>.

Posted by Gregory Chanan <gc...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sravya Tirukkovalur

Re: [DISCUSS] Committer == PPMC for Sentry?

Posted by Anne Yu <an...@cloudera.com>.
After investigation, it seems for some existing projects we do see
Committer == PPMC, and it is up to project community's decision. For
example here states, "In many projects committers are also invited to be
part of the core group within the project that ensures the project's
vitality (represented by the Project Management Committee, PMC). In a few
projects a only a subset of committers, who have earned even more merit,
are invited to be a part of the PMC. "

It appears sentry is contributing voluntarily by a smaller size of active
committers, to encourage involvement and ensure vitality, we can start to
consider this Committer == PPMC approach.

Thanks,
Anne

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 12:54 AM, Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> This is breaking off a separate discussion for the thread Sravya started
> [1].  Specifically, the part around whether Sentry should move from a model
> where Committer != PPMC to a model where Committer == PPMC.
>
> Background:
> It's been two years since the Sentry project entered incubation and over
> that time we have welcomed many new community members, as committers
> and contributors. However, we have not added any new PPMC members over the
> same time period. This is concerning because building a successful
> community means growing committers as well as growing the PPMC.
> At the same time, we have strived to be a very open community, and involve
> everyone (not just PPMC members) in project decisions.  As Arvind mentioned
> [2], there have been few instances, outside of committership/board reports,
> where the PPMC made decisions outside of the dev list.
>
> Given that we have a) in some ways implicitly been acting in a Committer ==
> PPMC model already and b) have many new folks in the community from when
> the project started, I think we should revisit this topic.
>
> I want to hear everyone's thoughts on whether you think we should go with
> Committer == PPMC model for Sentry? Logistically, this would mean all
> existing committers would become PPMC members and there would be no
> distinction between committer and PPMC member moving forward.
>
> Feel free to also chime in if you disagree with my assessment above.
>
> [1]
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/sentry-dev/201511.mbox/%3CCACMN7iwY1FXCN6iGTJAN28MC4v%3DFUpKAzvdqVRNq9%3DK7YcomtQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> [2]
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/sentry-dev/201511.mbox/%3CCAHUddLMOeq7q4XFpy6VcCcmetUjt5iazf1fNmXv15EXJrypTWg%40mail.gmail.com%3E