Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Xaero S <xa...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/31 23:21:20 UTC

Encrypting traffic between Hector client and Cassandra server

I have been trying to figure out how to secure/encrypt the traffic between
the client (Hector) and the Cassandra Server. I looked at this link
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-106 But since thrift sits on a
layer after Hector, i am wondering how i can get Hector to use the right
Thrift calls to have the encryption happen? Also where can i get the
instructions for the any required setup for encrypting the traffic between
the Hector client and the Cassandra Server?

Would appreciate any help in this regard. Below are the setup versions

Cassandra Version - 0.8.7
Hector - 0.8.0-2
libthrift jar - 0.6.1

On a side note, we have setup internode encryption on the Cassandra server
side and found the documentation for that easily.

Re: Encrypting traffic between Hector client and Cassandra server

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
There was a recent post about performance that also talked about using Open VPN to encrypt traffic from clients to server

http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg20058.html

I've not looked at thrift encryption.

Cheers

Aaron Morton