Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Attila-Mihály Balázs <di...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/06 13:56:48 UTC

Updating the default versions for maven-compiler-plugin

Hello,

Given that we're almost in 2015, what do people think about updating the
default source / target for maven-compiler-plugin to 1.8? (And also on
the site:
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/set-compiler-source-and-target.html).

If there is interest, I'm happy to submit a patch!

Cheers,
Attila Balazs (Grey Panther)

Re: Updating the default versions for maven-compiler-plugin

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Or, with latest tools:
- Update poms to set langlevel explicitly, if not set
- Pay attention to maven and plugin reqs re JVM
- Use toolchain
Etc

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Am 07.11.2015 10:22 schrieb "Tamás Cservenák" <ta...@cservenak.net>:
> Ie. For the stuck people: Use current/older versions of tooling, if you
are
> stuck with old JVM: just accept you are stuck with tooling too then...

+1 for that.

Re: Updating the default versions for maven-compiler-plugin

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Am 07.11.2015 10:22 schrieb "Tamás Cservenák" <ta...@cservenak.net>:

> How bout starting to fail if lang level is not explicitly set and _remove_
> defaults?

Hello,

letting Maven fail if you do not configure language levels leads to bad
beginner's experience.

Using the level of the invoking JDK however, seems the most natural fit to
me. I am supporting about 200 developers concerning Maven questions and
before we enforced the level in our department pom, this was one of the
more frequent questions (years back).

The disadvantage would be, that environment would play a bigger role.

Re: Updating the default versions for maven-compiler-plugin

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1 to at least 1.7

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 1.7.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.
I think it's actually a good idea to do something about that.

Users who don't specify a source/target version would fall on their bottoms
with a change to 1.7 as default as well. So why using 1.7 as a default,
which is EOL (or at least nearly) anyway?

Keeping the default on 1.5 might bite users also in the near future, as the
JDK compiler only supports a limited number of previous versions. Is 1.5
even still supported in JDK 8?

But I guess the question is if we want to put in a fixed default value for
those parameters anyway. Instead, we could just detect the actual
language version of the JDK used for the build / in the toolchain.... Using
source/target versions different than the JDK language version is fishy
anyway - which will change in JDK 9, but there it's a new parameter
(-platform or something? I don't remember right now).

My 0,02€... ;-)

Andreas

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.

> -1
>
> Many commercial projects still require Java 1.6.

The question asked by Attila is if the *default *values for the
source/target parameters in the compiler-plugin could use some attention
(and I think it should, as the default value 1.5 is just useless and
constantly confuses people that are new to maven).
This is not about limiting the possible JDK versions that can be used in
toolchains or used in the build, or to limit the possible values of those
parameters... :-)

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.
-1

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
-1. We might want to move to 1.7, but many people are still not in a
position to use 1.8.

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jochen,

could not a new major update of the compiler plugin change the default? My
guess is we would not break much anyway as the majority of projects already
needs to manage source and target explicitly.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile