Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2006/11/05 12:43:19 UTC

How to handle releases in the DOAP plugin

I've had a look at fixing MNG-2117 [1] and realized that the "release"
tags have been removed [2] from /doap_Maven.rdf. This was done when we
started to use the maven-doap-plugin to generate that file.

Having looked at the source for the doap plugin and the format of the
"release" tags in a doap file, I've come to the conclusion that we need
to do some work on the plugin to get this to work.

The problem is that the plugin does not generate the "release" tags at
all. Now this is not all that strange considering that the plugin only
has access to the pom, and there are no releases in the pom, only the
latest version number.

To solve this we could do one of two things, or perhaps both:

1. Read the release info from somewhere. The question is from where. In
our (the Maven community) case JIRA would be the obvious choice. The
doap plugin is currently geared only towards Apache projects, but even
with that scope we run into trouble, as not all Apache projects use JIRA.

2. If a doap file already exists we should preserve the "release" tags
from that file and incorporate them into the file generated by the
plugin. That way we at least retain the releases that were manually
inserted there. This would require an XML parser of some sort. Is there
a preferred one, or should we look at using Modello for this?

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2117
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/components/trunk/doap_Maven.rdf?r1=389803&r2=423113
--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: How to handle releases in the DOAP plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 5 Nov 06, at 5:13 PM 5 Nov 06, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> I've had a look at fixing MNG-2117 [1] and realized that the
> "release" tags have been removed [2] from /doap_Maven.rdf. This was
> done when we started to use the maven-doap-plugin to generate that
> file.
>
> Having looked at the source for the doap plugin and the format of
> the "release" tags in a doap file, I've come to the conclusion that
> we need to do some work on the plugin to get this to work.
>
> The problem is that the plugin does not generate the "release" tags
> at all. Now this is not all that strange considering that the
> plugin only has access to the pom, and there are no releases in the
> pom, only the latest version number.
>
> To solve this we could do one of two things, or perhaps both:
>
> 1. Read the release info from somewhere. The question is from
> where. In our (the Maven community) case JIRA would be the obvious
> choice. The doap plugin is currently geared only towards Apache
> projects, but even with that scope we run into trouble, as not all
> Apache projects use JIRA.

Look into the discussion on the release descriptor work that was
started by Jeremy Whitlock. The whole crux of his work being that you
would have a definitive piece of information describing the release:
one that could be used by Continuum to perform a release and one
provide all the information for audit trail. This would be another
piece of information that would be indexed by Archiva and then you
could perform a simple query to find out about all releases. JIRA
will never have the correct information.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Kenney Westerhof wrote:

> How is the DOAP file generated now? String concatenation?

It's using org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.PrettyPrintXMLWriter right now.

> Since everything else in the Maven project uses modello we should
> stick with that, but as I understand it element attributes aren't supported
> that well.

Well, we need attributes.

> If we're in a hurry to get this fixed we might use JAXB
> in the mean time. There's a maven 2 plugin for JAXB 1.0 at
> http://ws.apache.org/jaxme/mp/, a new release is pending. You only
> need an XSD of the DOAP format to generate the bean classes.

I'll have a look at it then.

> The Sun implementation is better (supports JAXB 2.0 and plugins)
> but it's under the CDDL so we can't use that (right?).
>
> -- Kenney

Thanks

--
Dennis Lundberg

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
How is the DOAP file generated now? String concatenation?

Since everything else in the Maven project uses modello we should
stick with that, but as I understand it element attributes aren't supported
that well. If we're in a hurry to get this fixed we might use JAXB