Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com> on 2006/01/11 23:29:36 UTC

filesystem directives

For someone looking for something to do,

The authorization code makes an assumption that filesystems allowing
file ownership is a platform-specific define.  That is not
the case for the same reason that case-sensitivity is not based
on the platform.  All of the filesystem characteristics should be
a runtime configuration scoped within the Directory directives, e.g.

    FileSystemCaseSensitive no
    FileSystemHasOwners     yes

which can then be looked up in the per-dir config while performing
operations. [How to do this efficiently is unknown to me.]

Note that both of those are settable per disk in OS X, and in other
cases they will be dependent on the remote filesystem host (SMB).
The default should be based on some combination of platform and
perhaps platform-specific tests.  We've needed this feature for a
long time.

....Roy