Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Facundo Darío Velazquez Santillán <fa...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/19 00:58:44 UTC

Re: Fwd: Deadlock caused by ActiveMQMessageConsumer.dispatch() due to onEvent invocation

Hi guys.
I send a new message to this topic since in Mule ESB, we are suffering a
deadlock again regarding to the same root cause.
I am attaching the stacktrace so you can analyze this.
The previous time, I applied the Tim Bain suggestion and removed a logger
that called the connection.toString() method causing the issue.
However, now with a different execution chain, this deadlock is being
reproduced again.
I quoted my previous opinion regarding to a definitive solution for this
problem:

I think the root problem is the invocation of the external implemented
> method onMessage().
> Calling the external implemented onMessage() in the synchronized lock can
> cause an unpredictable behavior in lock ordering causing deadlock issues.
> It could be resolved if the lock is released before invoking onMessage().

I am referring to this code line
<https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/master/activemq-client/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/ActiveMQMessageConsumer.java#L1404>
.
As you can see, in this line external code is invoking (in this case, mule
code) without releasing the acquired locks.
would it possible to call this method after releasing the lock?

Regards.

Posted by Facundo Darío Velazquez Santillán <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim.
Thanks for your valuable help.
I have commented the issue with the requested information.
If you need anymore, please let me know.
Regards.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.