Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jason Trump <Ja...@mantis-tgi.com> on 2008/01/04 22:15:42 UTC

On-server ivy settings?

New feature suggestion (obviously not for 2.0):  allow some kind of optional ivy settings file on the ivy repository.  This would allow for less configuration on the ivy client side, and make it easier to update the structure of your ivy repository.  Things that could go in this file:

* artifact and ivy patterns for the repository
* repository-sensitive cache hints like changingPattern and changingMatcher
* pointers to other repositories where artifacts are stored (so that client doesn't have to know about these)
* lists of mirror or backup servers to improve availability

though maybe the last one is better handled in custom repository implementations.  The client config would then look something like:

<ivysettings>
   <resolvers>
        <url settings="/server/path/to/ivysettings.xml"/>
   </resolvers>
</ivysettings>

I know that you can do similar things with a remote ivysettings.xml file, but I liked the idea of putting information about the ivy repository in the repository itself.  What do you think?  Is it worth mentioning in a JIRA issue?

jason

________________________________

Posted by Jason Trump <Ja...@mantis-tgi.com>.
created issue 695 to cover further developments on the topic:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-695

-jt

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/